1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will my setup work?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by rm082e, Apr 14, 2007.

1. rm082e

rm082e Member

So I've done some reading ofver the forums for the last week and this place has been a HUGE help. Thank you to everyone who contributes! I've refrained from making any posts in favor of doing lots of searches and reading. But now I've come to a specific question that I would like to ask.

So last week for my birthday my wife bought me this drive:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...ategoryId=pcmcat107700050010&id=1166236338234

I didn't realise there was such a thing as DL disks, nor did I realise that this drive burns them. So for the last week, I've been converting my .AVI files to Video-TS with AVI2DVD; and burning them to +R disks with the Nero Essentials that came with the drive. The disks play great on my xbox (I know...I'm behind the times...) and all is well.

Now, I just noticed about 20 minutes ago when I glanced at the box that this drive does DL DVDs. I have quite a few .AVI files that are over the 110 miniute mark and have to be split into two DVD+R disks. This is annyoning. So, I'd like to get some DL disks to try and burn these longer movies. The booklet that came with the drive reccomends Verbatim DL disks, and BestBuy has several small packs that are cheap enough for me. I know AVI2DVD has an option to choose DVD9 instead of DVD5 when encoding, and my Nearo Essentials program has an option for DVD9 when burning as well.

So, before I go out and spend $20 on a package of DL disks, does it sound like I have everything needed to convert & burn a 120+ min avi movie onto a DL DVD?

I'm totally new to video processing, so sorry for the newb question. Thanks everyone. :)

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Yep sounds like you have everything to burn to dual layer.
    Now you just need the discs :)

Let's check the firmware version of the drive too - make sure up to date.
    I'm not familiar w/ Essentials so not sure if it comes with Tools. Check in SmartStart and see if "tools" is listed. If it is go to InfoTool. In the drive tab there will be a field for the firmware version #. Post that back.

Looks like this LG booktypes so I would booktype those dual layer discs to DVD-Rom. Players can be pickier with dual layer and this will help increase the capability.
    Nero should be set to automatic. But you can check that in Burning Rom go to 'recorder' in the tool bar then pick 'choose recorder'. In options you can check it there.

Burn the dual layer at 4x too.

3. rm082e

rm082e Member

So -R disks are generally more compatible with the average cheapo DVD player than +R disks?

4. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

yes, only if the +R is not booktyped.

definetaly should booktype your +R's if your burner can