1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will someone please give this old guy a hand with new technology

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by OZfn4ever, Dec 12, 2007.

1. OZfn4ever

OZfn4ever Member

I have a Acer/Aspire 3680 laptop running OS Windows Vista Home Basic. I have been trying and trying to burn DVDs with this thing, but no luck. I'm not even sure I have a burner. Under Device manager here's what it says I have, (Sony CDRWDVD CRX880A ATA Device),is this a burner? If so why, doesn't it work? and if not, can I purchase a desk top burner compatble with a laptop running Vista? Any help from you computer savvy geniuses would be greatly appreciated.

2. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

Hi you have a cd burner and a dvd reader ( will NOT burn dvds)

Foe a nice burner (external with USB 2 connections) try a Lite-on DX-20A3H-05. I got one and I think you will like it ( burns both dvds and cds.

3. OZfn4ever

OZfn4ever Member

Thank You Iluvendo,this thing was driving me ansolutely nuts, I tried every program you could think of and you were right, I could play my DVDs but not burm em. Will this computer support a double USB burner and it comes with software right? Again, thank you and have a merry Christmas

4. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

An external burner hooked up via USB is one option and should work just fine. Your other option would be to buy a new internal drive for around $30-$40 and install it yourself. The external option will cost at least double that amount.

5. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

Your computer should be able to support 2 or more burners with no problems.
    If you have a newer computer ( and it seems like you do) it should be a USB 2 installed model.Software is usually included with the burner, and Merry Christmas to you too.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  6. dbbyleo

dbbyleo Member

If your intention is to also backup your commercial movie dvds, then once you've got your DVD burner installed (external or internal)... read this post (http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/422740) to get the tools you need (free) and a GREAT guide on how to use them to back up your DVDs. Usually the software that somes with any DVD burner still will NOT be able to backup commercial movie DVDs because of the protections on the DVD.