1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

will these speakers/amp work?

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by suiekou45, Dec 5, 2009.

1. suiekou45

suiekou45 Member

Hi, so I just ordered a pair of Sony bookshelf speakers...for some reason I thought I could just connect it to my television but apparently I cannot. So I did some research and found out that I need either a receiver or an amplifier...I don't really want anything expensive because I don't have a real home theater system so I don't want a receiver, so I'm looking only at amplifiers...I'm wondering if this amplifier will work with the speakers I ordered? Or is something else required?

Amplifier: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938811&pf_rd_i=507846

Speakers: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SS-B1000...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1259990161&sr=1-1

2. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

the amp will work with the speakers just fine. However, what is your low level line (audio) source ? If the source is the tv, providing it is a low level source, then it will work just fine. If not, then...........

3. suiekou45

suiekou45 Member

thanks for the reply, yes i guess that the TV would be the source. I'm not sure what you mean by "low level", it's a 32 inch LCD hdtv, if that helps some.

4. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

what I mean by a low level line source is that the signal to be amplifies has only been amplified by a preamp and is at max 2 volts. If the source is from an amplified source (as the tv amp) then the amp you will be buying will distort the sound badly. Amplifiers only amplify low level signals well. Amplified signals (amplified once more ) will come out distorted. So, if the tv has RCA jacks (L + R) out for audio, the most likely your rig will work just fine.

5. suiekou45

suiekou45 Member

I think I get what you are saying, are the jacks you are talking about the white and yellow ones?

6. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

possible, but in the US they are mostly red and white for audio and yellow for video