1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will This All Work? My New Gaming RIG.

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by xChronox, Jan 27, 2008.

1. xChronox

xChronox Regular member

I wasn't thinking of it last :p.

I was just trying to spend as least amount of money as I can. My budget was £400 remember? The pc is now £600 With the PSU and everything. Do you know how rarely I get money?

I get £100 every year. Well...£100-£200.

Yaknow why? Because I'm 14. I don't go to work I don't have a job. The only reason why I even have enough money to buy one now is because I've been waiting since last april and my dad JUST got a shiny new job in harrods. But he's leaving soon. So I'm squeezing the shit out of him as much as I can.

I was going to spend £40 on actual games for my PC. Since that's what I got it for in the first place. But now I'll have to spend that on the PSU. And that means I wont get it all until Next. Month. ....Another month waiting.

So yeah. Give me some money. Donate to my paypal. So then I can buy a £500 Grand piece of land in iceland and bury my PSU in there.

=).

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Just because his PSU ran an Athlon X2 doesn't mean it can power a high end graphics card. Graphics cards almost always draw more power than CPUs.
    Without hinting too much, there are ways by which you can acquire games without spending money, if you get my drift. However, I can't legally endorse such methods, I just feel it my duty to inform you they exist.

3. xChronox

xChronox Regular member

Yeah I know about Torrents. But...You can't get STEAM run online games like counter-strike source without paying for them. Unless you're a 1337-h4x0r and have access to the valve/steam servers. Or a Café steam account which they disabled. ;).

I'm getting the PSU. And I'll ...Catch your drift and get crysis or something. Yay 8GB of data takes about 9 days to transfer so yeah. ;).

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

well if I'm honest, the games I run on steam have got to have been the best value of any games I've had. The number of hours spent playing CSS for example compared to how much it costs is ridiculous. CSS and The Orange Box combined aren't expensive.

5. xChronox

xChronox Regular member

Well I was planning to get the source premier pack for £40 but..

CSS and Orange box together are £35. With G-Mod it's £37 but I don't need GMOD.

I guess I could buy CSS first for £10 and then pay £30 for HL2 and everything later...Yup I guess I got it all figured out now. Yay.

~One Month Later~

Yay I got 2.66ghz Intel Core 2 Duo overclocked to 9.2ghz running off a 1rpm 2mhz fan! GOOO..! (pc blows up)

...Oh well...I should've listened to sammorris...:(.

6. xChronox

xChronox Regular member

btw, I was watching a video on youtube and a guy said that "400 watts is basically just for a home computer, if you really want a proper computer where you can expand etc. get a 600 watt or above one"

The one you gave me was 460 watts...Are you sure it's okay with the setup I've got?

~C.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's perfectly fine. The gaming PC I use draws only 210W when gaming. (See link in my signature) People just overestimate how many watts you need because they've used crap brands. The wattage of a unit is almost irrelevant, it's the brand that counts.

8. xChronox

xChronox Regular member

haha, yeah my dad tells me why is all this stuff expensive because all his life he's been working with ...Lets just call it "Value RAM" that looks like it was given away for free on the street.

But I still have one last question..I swear :p.

The whole thing about the case...Does it really matter what case I have? Will it have a different design where the screw holes are or anything? I'm using my old one but just putting all the components including the PSU in there. The one I showed in my link and your one, I'm not using those but I'm going to upgrade to the one I put first later, and I read on it that it has blue "bubble" lights..Will that take extra electric by any chance?

Thanks. :).

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The power consumption of LEDs is negligible so don't worry about that. The case however will be problematic, because firstly all the mountings in Dell systems are proprietary so no standard PC parts will fit in it, and secondly it won't be ventilated well enough to cool high end gear, so it has to be replaced.

10. xChronox

xChronox Regular member

I see..What about the one I first showed? The Galaxy gaming case with the lights?

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's not the worst I've seen but you could certainly do better. The power supply in it will be awful though, so do not think of using that for a moment.
    if you want a cheap case that'll get the job done, go for this one instead
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=446040
    As for a Power supply, don't go for anything less than this one:
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=644038

£70 may seem a lot to spend on a case and power supply but consider my PSU/Case combined cost me £180.

12. xChronox

xChronox Regular member

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's a decent monitor, but I wouldn't buy it from MicroDirect. They are the only company to be as bad as Eclipse over customer service.
    Get it here
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/131675

14. xChronox

xChronox Regular member

Ooo...Nice...The other website was £127, this one is £116 with FREE shipping and vat...That's about £11 saved for my case which is £24. You're a big help :p. Thanks once again..I don't think I have any problems but if I do I'll just post here so keep checking back :p.

Thanks ~C.

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No problem. Keep us posted how it works out.

16. xChronox

xChronox Regular member

Sure :p. Try to keep me posted if you see anything better but a bit cheaper or if you see any deals as I'm constantly on the lookout :p. I'd really like to get a 3870 but I can't at the mo :(. One thing I did see was the 3850 X-Turbo III by HiS : http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012IPOWS?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=dealtime-ce-feed-20&linkCode=asn

In USD though. But I used a converter and it came to £118. That's a better card for cheaper than the one I've got now :p.

But it's not in stock and I'm not sure if the USA stores deliver to england...So I just wondered if you could try and find a good store? I'm not just being lazy either I have actually looked :p.

Thanks ~C.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

18. xChronox

xChronox Regular member

Oh cool...The 3870 is cheaper than I thought..I think I'll get that one :p. Btw is it overclockable? I'm thinking of using RivaTuner to clock it a bit higher , and the CPU aswell with another third party program.

Thanks ~C.

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Some are, some aren't. I bought two 3870s to see which was best (although I didn't try the HIS version, that'll probably be better), the Powercolor one overclocks well, the Sapphire one not so well. The maximum overclock you can expect will yield about a 10% performance boost.

20. xChronox

xChronox Regular member

I see...Well I'll use 3D Mark 06 to test it..I'm not really that bothered but it's still nice to run Crysis at med-high with 2x AA and 8x AF @ 40fps at least...Btw ATi cards are supposed to perform better with the filters turned all the way up? Do you think it will apply to the 3870?