1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will this be good?

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by zike911, Mar 24, 2007.

1. zike911

zike911 Member

Hey, will this amp that i just bought (shown in picture with stats) its a Yamaha HTR 5750, be able to power these speakers? and if so what do you think of both the reciever and speakers?
    Speakers:
    NX-E400 2-Way Speaker System
    2-Way Bass-Reflex Design
    13cm Cone Woofer and 2.5cm Dome Tweeter
    110W Maximum Input Power
    Banana-Plug Compatible Speaker Terminals
    6-ohm Impedance
    High Gloss Piano Finish

[​IMG]

THanks for your input

2. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Hello! Welcome to afterdawn. I have a link below to the amp; I'll find one for your speakers. Those speakers were part of a Yamaha all in one component system of considerably less quality than the receiver. Yes, you can run the one with the other but I would not drive them to the max and don't run the bass at maximum; also, the sound will not be as good as the receiver can deliver ... the receiver is a better quality than the speakers. Your receiver is a 6.1 system; are you just going to use it in two speaker stereo for now?

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=200025&CTID=5000400

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2007
  3. zike911

zike911 Member

Ok i see, ya i was just checking to see if they would be suffieciently powered. Like i know my stuff about audio, but the impedence always confuses me, especially with how there is A/B or A+B options on home audio. So i CAN handle 4 ohm speakers?

And yes right now im just working with 2 speakers to start and then build the rest, so basically i want the strongest speakers i can handle. How about these ones?
    http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10074979&catid=20319

4. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Those yamaha speakers are 6 ohm. There are a lot of people who LOVE the Klipsch Synergy speakers (one of my subs is from the Klipsch Synergy series). Personally, I'm not crazy about them because the horn makes them too bright and brassy for my taste but that's just it, its a matter of individule taste ... the quality is there in most of the good speakers so it more a matter of personal taste. The thing is, zike, is that you can't throw one brand in the front, a different brand in the back or center. Speakers MUST be "timber matched" you can do that by buying a full set of 5.1 speakers in a package (I believe Klipsch sells a full 5.1 package of the ones your looking at) or, if you're buying them piecemeal, you've got to make sure your using the same make and model all the way around. You can have different brands of top of the line speakers all the way around and even though they are individually the best, they sound like crap together in fact, I was in that situation when I was putting my equipment together. I had top of the line Mirage in the front and some borrowed top of the line Polk in the rear and they sounded like crap when put together ... the sound effects won't flow evenly if the speakers from front to back don't have the same type of sound and delivery. So, if you're going to buy two Klip Synergies for the front, then you'll have to get a Klip center and Klip Synergies for the rears or it won't sound good at all. The only exception to the rule is the sub; with that, you can pick and choose brands that are a different make from the rest but "timber" is VERY important or you'll be spending your money for something that will sound like crap when combined with each other. Here is some explanation of what I'm talking about:

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-BeCBEjn9e4Y/learningcenter/home/ht_speakers.html

Also, that site had what they call the "crutchfield advisor" area which has an aweful lot of good advice. Here is another site of good speakers for the money:

http://www.fluance.com/

I haven't hear a lot of the different models but I heard the cheapest of the 5.1 packages (the AV-HTB+) and they were good for the money; not the best, but really nice sounding for the money ... $200 for the whole set of five. Again, not the best but damned decent for the bucks. I would really like to hear their better models one of these days. Anyway, my point is to make sure you've got the same make and model all the way around. If you buy those two Klip Synergies for the front, you have to also get Klip synergies for the center and rear of, believe me, it WON'T sound good. Again, read some of the material in the Crutchfiled advisor I listed about: it has an enormous amount of useful advice without getting to technical that you can't understand it...its meant for the average Joe looking to learn.

5. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

You amp has 105W per channel, so they should handle about anything you hook up to.

I come from a different school of thought here...I've always believed that different brands of speakers deliver different sounds and that in order to hear a wider range of sounds I would want one brand up front and another brand in the back. Now, gerry is much more technically versed in this subject than I so take what I say with a grain of salt but consider both options.

...and just to show you what a hypocrite I am, I have Klipsch floor standing up front and Klipsch bookshelf in the rear (matched brands). LOL

I also agree that the horns of the Klipsch will produce very high highs, but that was what I was after when I purchased the speakers. I typically wouldn't buy speakers from Best Buy either...you can get much better for the same price from a high end dealer or through the crutchfield link supplied by gerry. My personal choice would be Polk if I hadn't had my heart set on the Klipsch.

6. zike911

zike911 Member

Cool, thanks for the input guys,
    just one more question, when u say "timber" do you mean the acoustics?
    And to confirm something, i CAN power 4 ohm speakers? yes/no

Thanks alot in advance

Last edited: Mar 25, 2007
  7. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

8. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@Loco...that's what I mean by "personal taste"; this is probably more true of speakers than anything else. You can have two different brands, both top of the line in quality yet so different sounding ... both great, yet so different.

@Zike...Your AVR says 4 ohm minimum so yes, that is o.k. but why do you ask that when your speakers aren't 4 ohms?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2007
  9. zike911

zike911 Member

Because, i know that 4 ohm speakers are THAT much more powerful, so i can keep my out for them. I want the best that money can buy (well not too expensive). Also, car speakers are mostly (if not all) 4ohm, and i was thinking of experimenting, as you may have seen in my other thread, i was wondering if anyone has tried hooking up car speakers to their amps, since i feel they are stronger than home speakers, would u recommend this?

10. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@zike...NO! I wouldn't recommend it. I'm not too sure where you're getting your information but it isn't true. Optimum impedence for a home unit is six or eight ohms; four is possible but inefficient. In cars, you have four ohm speakers connected to four ohm amplification. Car speakers are not more powerful and they're no where near the same quality...they are meant to be used in a small area, direction of sound as well acoustics are not taken into account. So too, they are coaxial with drivers and crossovers all crammed into one frame without any insulation and baffeling of the speakers. Car speakers are for cars; believe me, they'll sound like crap in the house ... they're not meant for that kind of use. I'll see if I can find one of my buddies here to give you a more technical explanation.

11. zike911

zike911 Member

Ok, i see where ur heading, and ya a technical explaination would be nice.
    So ur saying that even if i want as booming of a sound as possible (ofcourse with consideration of sound dimensions for theatre mode) i should still go with speakers made for the home... ok ur the boss :)

And again, if you could get the technicals explained for me, that'd be great, thanks for everything man, u'll be remembered