1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will this burn Dual Layer?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Ian1324, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Ian1324

Ian1324 Member

I've just gotten a drive from the local PC shop, and was assured it was a dual layer burner. However, I cant find anything in the manual saying its a DL or anything on the front of the drive.

My drive is 'Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-115D' and it reads dual layer disks, but ive got no blanks to try it on.

The specs on http://bigmaggot.co.uk/Pioneer-DVR-115D-20x-Int.-DVDRW-Beige-Bare-pr-5560.html show that it 'Max. 10X writing speed for DVD-R DL / +R DL (Dual / Double Layer media)'

Basically it looks like it burns DL, but as I cant try I wanna know if I'm gonna be able to burn DVD+R DL disks. It just seems strange that nowhere in the manual or drive it mentions DL, I would have thought that would be a selling point.

Any help appreciated :)

2. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

yeah looks like it will...

not sure if pioneer 115 booktype +R to dvd-rom though?

3. MysticE

MysticE Active member

I would assume all burners these days are DL, The 115D is no exception.

It's a great burner that burns my TYG02 (-R 8X) @ 12X perfectly. It doesn't scan though, so I tested in my Benq.

[​IMG]

And it auto booktypes +R DL. I find the need to use booktyped +R SL to be dubious at best, the Pioneer folks seem to agree.

I've burned a few Memorex +R DL(Ritek D01)and the results are decent with the discs playable in Sony, JVC, Phillips and Magnavox players, but not in my older Pioneer standalone recorder.

Get the latest FW as it is said to improve DL writing (not tried yet). There's a bit of a stink as the new Verbatiom DL discs are now made in India are not held in such high regard anymore. The new FW is said to address this issue.

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_result.php?kaj=1&isces=DVR-115D

4. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

there ya go

i got a pioneer 106D

5. Ian1324

Ian1324 Member

Cheers for the help everyone, especially MysticE!

I'll dl the latest firmware for it now :)