1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will this much power do the trick?

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by Kylebacon, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Kylebacon

Kylebacon Regular member

Hey there wanting to build an AMD cheap PC for my cousins as they need one and got ripped off hard by some other bloke and the pc would always have problems and now i cant even whack an OS on it so i offered to build one for them so ive looked on the net trying to find out how much power each thing uses ive only found out about 2 which may help? ill list what im going to get as its cheap and i can get these guys to do most of the building for me as i don't feel quiet ready to try it yet and i dont exactly want them to waste money on something thats going to get wrecked as i didnt get a high enough PSU

Gigabyte GA-MA78LMT-S2 AMD Mainboard
    AMD Sempron 140 2.70GHz 1MB Cache (AM3/ AM2+/ AM2*) - uses 45W so i read off the AMD site
    Kingston DDR3 2GB PC-10600/1333 CL9 Value Ram
    Gigabyte NVIDIA N84S-512I GF8400GS, 512MB, 450Mhz, 64bit, DDR2, DVI, HDMI, LP, FANSINK - I found out this needed a minimum of 300W

Im planning on using other stuff from the old PC maybe such as the HDD,DVD burner,Screen (LCD) from memory it was a Dell, speakers keyboard+mouse and im not 100% sure on any of the models of any of theses so im not 100% sure how much power some of them would need (the speakers are just cheapish ones im pretty sure, 2.0 system if that helps?)

okay so before i forget to say the PSU im wanting to get (as it comes with a case and is cheaper then buying a case and another PSU) is 550W im thinking i should be safe but i really dont want to risk it. Intech 550W ATX Power Supply im pretty sure thats the PSU included with the case i dont know if this can be any help but ill whack it here anyways

* Main Power Connector
    * +12V Connector
    * Aux Power Connector
    * Peripheral Power Connector X4
    * Floppy Drive Connector X2
    * 550W Power Output

Thanks in advanced

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The Intech 550W PSU will be awful. Such units typically fail after about 150W. The good news is the PC won't even need 150W, on full load that system will use around 70-80W tops.
    However, there's nothing to say that the terrible PSU that comes with the case won't go pop and destroy the rest of the components. This is very common, and is the reason why case+PSU bundles are cheap, the PSUs they use are appalling.
    Get yourself one of these:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371033
    You will be sorry otherwise.

3. Kylebacon

Kylebacon Regular member

ah thanks very much i was thinking it would be a little risky buying cheap ah i have one of these myself well just more watts thanks heaps mate

4. Kylebacon

Kylebacon Regular member

ah thanks very much i was thinking it would be a little risky buying cheap ah i have one of these myself well just more watts thanks heaps mate