1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will this process work for making quality backups?

Discussion in 'DVD / BD-Rebuilder forum' started by MacBauer, Apr 4, 2006.

1. MacBauer

MacBauer Member

I'm new to the whole DVD burning thing, but I have spent quite a bit of time reading all the helpful information on this site. After reading everything, I do still have a few questions:

I'd like to start making a backup of my entire DVD collection. All I want on my backup DVD is the movie only - no extra features I can always pull out the original if I want to watch those, and no menus or anything like that - just the movie.

I have the following software, all free versions:

DVDFab Decrypter
    DVD Shrink
    DVD Rebuilder (free version)

I'll eventually get the Pro version of DVD Rebuilder along with CCE Basic, but for purpose of my questions here I'm using the free programs above until I can afford the other versions.

I am considering the following backup routine for movies that need a lot of compression, say more than 85% in DVDShrink.

Use DVDShrink (or DVDFab first and then DVDShrink for movies that DVDShrink can't beat copyright protection) then use DVDRebuilder. With DVDShrink, I select the movie only like normal, but in the compression section I set DVD Shrink to use 'No Compression' - so I'm ripping only the movie to my hard drive, but using no compression/transcoding in DVDShrink. Then I open DVD Rebuilder and do the compression/encoding using the HC Encoder that comes free with Rebuilder.

Will the above work and still givee me as good of quality as using Rebuilder Pro (the only thing I need Pro for would be to do Movie Only, but can do that with extra step in my process)??

When I rip the movie with DVD Shrink, I'm not using any compression. I want to verify that Shrink isn't doding anything else that will compromise thhe quality if I'm using No compression there.

Thanks everyone for your help

2. JXP2307

JXP2307 Regular member

That will work assuming you have no newer movies. DVD shrink cannot handle the newer copy protections.

I use DVDFab Decrypter to rip to HD, then DRDRB/CCE to re-encode.

3. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

if you want uncompromised movie files then use DVDDecrypter ..... it's still the king..... but on some newer movies use DVDFab Decrypter. DVDDecrypter won't change the files at all just take out the encryptions that inhibit copying. I don't know if Shrink will change the files being ripped. And I hardly use DVDFab Decrypter because even some of the new movies out can be ripped by DVDDecrypter. Sooooo it's a matter of prefferances and experiences on what will work for you!~

I rip with DVDDecrypter, and use DVDRemake to take out unwanted stuff (but only when I do an episode DVD, like tv shows). Otherwise I just use DVDRebuilder Pro/CCE MOvie Only Mode. Then I let it burn with IMGBurn automatically! Perfect every time!

4. L8ter

L8ter Guest

I would not use dvdshrink to rip w/ especially when using another app to compress w/,

and like ihoe said the free version of rebuilder will still let you do movie only settings, just check to make sure you do not have the "main movie" in anythng but one vts, like is common w/ the series dvd's ie 24,desperate house wives.

btw dvd-rb pro gives you a lot of extra features so I would definately give that a try=)