1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will Xbox read DVD+R

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by juz, Apr 4, 2004.

1. juz

juz Guest

Hi guys, i am looking to get an Xbox with a chip. And i was wondering if anyone knew if the standard dvd reader the xbox comes with will read both dvd-r/+r or will it do one? this will be the latest version xbox.

thanks guys

2. clarky

clarky Regular member

not sure if the latest xbox will (search the forum to check what dvd drive it has) my xbox plays dvd+R fine but i use dvd-r when i do my own backups. Might just be my imagination but i feel that the +r's take a little while longer to load, but play at the same speed.

3. eggbert52

eggbert52 Regular member

I just posted in the other post that there was just a list (which should be stickied) that says what media is working for people for what drive. It even says what brand of the media is working for which drive. I will find out what page it is on since it seems to be asked quite a bit on here.

4. spitfire9

spitfire9 Guest

My xbox is only a couple of months old and it plays dvd-rs just fine and it also plays cdr fine too so if you want to burn a cd with a new bios etc then don't bother wasting time with a dvd, use a cd instead

5. lcarbutt

lcarbutt Regular member

spitfire9, telling him to burn a BIOS onto a cd-r is a bit short sighted, they only work on xbox with SAMSUNG dvd-rom NOT PHILIPS or THOMSON, if you are burning a BIOS use CD-RW NOT CD-R

6. juz

juz Guest

is there a way to tell whether it is a samsung drive or not?

7. G4MERZO1D

G4MERZO1D Regular member

omg... getting tired of this now...
    u can open your eyes when you remove the top of ur console and see the sticker..
    or..
    look at the dvd tray when it pops out.. look around for diagrams

8. iggi

iggi Member

you can tell the drive by opening the tray and looking at it, follow the link to see the differences.
    http://www.freewebs.com/xboxdrives/

Also I asked the question of how to tell the difference between the drives without taking the box apart and without having any power, the reason for this is i goto a lot of house clearances "reposessions" and often see xbox's but i cant plug them in and see b4 i decide wether or not to buy. Nobody here could tell me of a way so i eventually found out how to tell by serial number.

My point being a question maybe a good valid one and just because it comes from a newbie doesn't mean its a question that has been answered in the previous posts.

There has been postings from people saying they are sick of the same old questions. I see your point and share your frustrations in some people's lack of ability to search and find answers for themselves, however instead of constantly whinging on and on like my grandma why not just ignore the message or post a reply saying just "read the FAQ" or post http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487

rant over

iggi

9. quad355

quad355 Member

My sons XBox plays DVD+R's just fine, it has an Xecuter2 chip.

iggi,

The xbox drives site you indicated give exactly the opposite information from what our own experience has been with our own drive. As far as Samsung is concerned my sons friend has one and it does not even read RAW2 which is a very popular game according to many.

XBox aside, I personally had very bad experience with a Samsung CD WRiter which was installed in a friends machine it even failed to read the Intel motherboard disk which was easily read on four different machines.

I have Plextor and NEC burners in my two rigs.

I would not trust the site you mentioned. Sorry to dissapoint ya.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do and the eyesight to tell the difference.
    [/small]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2004
  10. NapalmStr

NapalmStr Member

i have a V1.0 box with the thompson drive (known to be the most finicky) and my xbox reads dvd+r media for both backup movies and games.

11. Johnboy2k

Johnboy2k Member

My Xbox will not play DVD+Rs at all. Just DVD-Rs. I have the samsung drive.

12. iggi

iggi Member

sorry for any misunderstanding, i referred the site so that people who wanted to, can see the visible differences in the drives and be able to tell which drive they have without opening up the xbox. Some people get others to modify their box and therefore don't know what type of drive they have. As for which is the best drive, i guess thats down to opinion. I have 2 xbox's 1 with philips drive and 1 with samsung, the samsung plays everything i've ever put in it but i have probs with the philips. I think personally the Samsung drive is the best but accept that is my opinion and not necessarily the opinion of others.

cheers

iggi

13. Striker20

Striker20 Member

guys,

listen, I have the truth. If you want to know if you have a samsung drive or not, then look at the disc tray, if there is 2 big holes in it, one on the left and one of the right, then it is the samsung, the others have no holes at all. This drive will not read dvd+r, but I have excellent news for you who do have this drive. I was doing research for this drive for 2 months since I only had a dvd+rw burner and found out it will read dvd+rw discs and you can even rewrite to them again! I bought the brand TDK dvd+rw and they work great with the samsung drive! Theres your facts for ya all, u can thank me later.

-Striker

14. juz

juz Guest

how can it read dvd+rw and not dvd+r? that doesn't make much sense.

15. G4MERZO1D

G4MERZO1D Regular member

the xbox defies physics and its not ment to make sence ;)

16. juz

juz Guest

idiot

17. G4MERZO1D

G4MERZO1D Regular member

chill m8, was only tryin to hav a laugh with u

18. Sukodin

Sukodin Member

I have an xbox I got around Xmas with a samsung drive in it.. I have an HP DVD+R drive in my comp and have burned most of my games to DVD+R, (Maxell Brand) And have not yet found a problem.. I have burned probably 20-25 DVD's so far (not just games) and have not had a problem with any of them, relating to the media, I have had some issues with the software, but the Media has always worked for me.. (The disks come in a 10 pack at wal-mart and cost about 16$) Hope this helps..

19. Striker20

Striker20 Member

I think the reason why dvd+rw media works for the xbox with the samsung drive is because the xbox prefers the media to have a silver bottom to it instead of the purple bottom most dvd+r's have like the brand verbatim and ritek. Cause I got a cdrw and dvdrw's to work with my xbox and they both cause silver bottoms. If you want to get the same dvd+rw media i got, cause I already tested it and it works with the samsung drive for xbox games and movies, they are TDK dvd+rw discs. If you want more info, please email me at silent_striker100@hotmail.com.

20. eggbert52

eggbert52 Regular member

This is what kills me about this site. You idiots respond 18 times to this question when another great member already started a great post which told everyone which media worked with which drive. This didn't just include +R or -R but every brand for every drive. OF COURSE this wasn't stickied which is why I should be a damn moderator on this site. I just don't get it...stupid damn noobie posts every single god damn day, the same ole bs posts that I have to read ten times in two days because people won't search. You know that I am not offending EVERYONE because I would be willing to bet that most of the smart members agree with me. If half of you losers were old enough to vote you would probably elect John Kerry president cause you don't give a damn about trying or researching on your own. Ban me moderators...but my point should be well taken. I'm sick of this crap. Enough is Enough. And by the way Iggi...you're one of the idiot newbies of which I have been speaking of that can't research and can't read. Do me a favor...if you're 18 or older...please just don't vote...go out and smoke some dope instead... you dope.
    _
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Egg[/small]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2004