1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will xbox read external hard drive?

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by BenD188, Oct 15, 2004.

1. BenD188

BenD188 Member

I have bought an external harddrive for my xbox and before i open it i am just wondering if my xbox will be able to recognize it? I have a switch so my hdd's are hooked up 1 at a time. I have latest evox bios and dash and x2 bios.

2. punqewe

punqewe Active member

You would have to use the switch to be able to choose what hdd you want to have power. The stock xbox bios only recognizes the two ide devices,so if you have the switch so that it will only supply power to one hdd at a time,then it'll work. You will have to find/modify an IDE cable so that it has space for three devices,and then have the switch between the two hdds. The best way is to have both the 5v and 12v powers switchable....that way you're not still sending power to the hdd that's not in use. Also you'll have to have the dashboard on both hdd's,and to switch hdd's you will need to shutdown,switch,then restart your machine. It sounds harder than it is,and there is a way to have two hdd's on the same cable with out a switch,but then you'd have to get your dvd drive out of there. It would be good if you modded a conection to the back of your external and then have the mated plug on the back of your xbox. That way you could just run a tweaked cable out the back and it would be alot cleaner. Either way,post pics when you're done.