1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

win 32 application error

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by pete123, Apr 12, 2003.

1. pete123

pete123 Member

I have just bought a new laptop with XP and i have a number of films on disc that i ripped and encoded from DVDs last year. However, when i tried to play them i got the message 'SNATCH.AVI is not a valid win32 application' (the great Vinny Jones film wouldnt work!)..does anyone know why? I have ripped using smartripper, encoded with Divx2.0, and for some films copied onto CD using VCD easy while others were converted into AVI films (using Divx and telling it to make my films into AVI instead of MPEG) and then burning onto CD using NERO.

I have a feeling that I may have caused a problem by installing POWERDVD (i always liked powerdvd) and overriding the default media/dvd player settings because when I choose the 'OPEN WITH' option to open the films the icon for POWERDvD is not the one it should be, and is the default icon which suggests there might be something wrong with the program. However, the films still wouldnt play with the default dvd player that came with the machine, and gave the same error message.

It will still play DVDS ok but just doesnt seem to recognise AVI files. I have tried installing the DIVX 4.02 codec as thats the one i used to compress for the AVI files that I produced, but this has had little effect. No idea where to go on this one!! Suggestions please...

Thanks in advance. Pete

2. Twilite

Twilite Regular member

Couple of questions, have you tried loadin the player and opening the file from there or are you opening the AVI from My computer or somesuch. Second, have you tried opening the AVI in WMP?

3. pete123

pete123 Member

I have loaded the POWERDVD player and using the 'openwith' facility from MYCOMPUTER. It's weird, cos it opens on my old computer (the one i produced them on) no problem at all. When I try to open it in WMP it comes up as a visualisation only, the graphics thing that comes with WMP, and the AVI file is always about 8/9 hours long according to WMP. Baffling!! I have searched all over the web to try ansd work out what this win32 application error is but i cant seem to find anything that relates to AVI files. Is it a codec problem?

By the way, the other laptop i have has a default media player on it...INTER WINvideo DVD 4..the AVI files dont work with that either. It works on my WMP, but I dont use it becuase the film comes out 'squashed' and only half the size of the original size...USELESS!!

Thanks a bunch if u can help..i would really appreciate it. I have about 50 films to watch!
    Pete

4. Twilite

Twilite Regular member

5. pete123

pete123 Member

Thanks for your reply. I tried that, found that I had the necessary codec on my old machine and transferred it to the laptop...but, to no avail. Same error message.

Any other ideas? Cos i am stumped...

Pete

6. Twilite

Twilite Regular member

How did you transfer the codec over? I ask cause If you just copied the file over instead of using an installation package that may not register it. Also, did you reboot? What codec did it say it needed? Does Gspot now say the codec is there?

7. pete123

pete123 Member

Mate...I have done it. Thank you so much for your help. It turns out, after a little more research that I needed a patch for POWERDVD XP which i downloaded and applied and it seems to work!!

So, thanks again. I can finally relax..

Pete

8. Twilite

Twilite Regular member

Glad you worked it out.