1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Win 7 DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink run on Win 10 with no problems

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by GregH, Aug 31, 2022.

1. GregH

GregH Newbie

I in a process of migrating from Win 7 to Win 10. I've found that many tools I used on Win 7 are either no longer available or no longer free (and the free version is completely user unfriendly/doesn't do too much). And so I've decided to check whether the stuff from Win 7 runs directly on Win 10. So far I've found two that run: the first one is DVD Decrypter 3.5.4 , which decrypts your DVD and copies TS_VIDEO to whatever you want. The second one is DVD Shrink 3.2 which lets you either compress the entire DVD (or TS_VIDEO) by some user-specified factor, extremely useful if your DVD contains multiple titles; you don't have to do it title by title as in Handbrake, it does all at once and preserves the DVD structure including menus; DVD Shrink also allows you re-author DVD (that is remove selected parts), but then of course the existing menus no longer work. To install them I just copied all the files from Win 7 Program directory to Win 10 Program (x86) directory) and ran from there. Is there any place I can upload them? Each takes almost 950KB of disk space. Thanks,

- G -

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

are you doing a fresh install of win 10 or upgrade win 7 to win 10? would be better to upgrade win 7 to win 10 by installing win 10 thru win 7 so that existing programs running in win 7 will most likely work in win 10.

3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

AD already hosts DVD Shrink because of its popularity and many features.. DVD Decrypter is kind of dated so there's not much call to download it.

https://www.afterdawn.com/software/cd_dvd/copy_dvd/dvd_shrink.cfm

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Free to rip always is dvdfab 8. This will rip dvd's that shrink can't. When required i use fab to rip then use shrink if necessary tho fab does it all.
    There is a portable version of dvdshrink tho i can't remember where it's uploaded to to download it. Pretty sure there's a thread here on AD regarding it as i seem to recall people having issues getting nero to be used as the default burner for shrink which is why the portable version was made.
    Why not just keep win 7 & install win 10 alongside in dual boot. Win 7 also has the option of a free win xp as a vm. I have the files if you want. It's best to install on a fresh install of win 7 to avoid install issues later.
    Don't forget to create backup images of your OS's it'll save headaches later