1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WIN 7 OR 8

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by whiskey99, Jan 3, 2014.

1. whiskey99

whiskey99 Regular member

HI,The multi-posting was not intentional i could not find my original post,but my follow
    up question is if i do not replace PC it self and just upgrade to newer version of windows i will not get is all of bells&whistles of a newer PC.
    Would a newer version of WINDOWS run on this PC with a older MOBO or will that even matter at all and if so which version of WINDOWS is better 7 or 8 and since this PC is coming up on 8yrs. old do you think that the least i should do is put in a newer HHD and download from external HDD all thats on it.
    I have another PC that exactly the same except for +6000 CPU which i can get if they are available any input on this subject would be appreciated,thanks

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what is the current specs of the pc?

3. whiskey99

whiskey99 Regular member

Operating System
    Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3
    CPU
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 110 °F
    Windsor 90nm Technology
    RAM
    4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 375MHz (6-6-6-18)
    Motherboard
    Dell Inc 0CT103 (Socket M2 )
    Graphics
    Panasonic-TV (1920x1080@60Hz)
    1024MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 (EVGA) 124 °F
    Storage
    149GB Seagate ST3160812AS (SATA) 106 °F
    186GB Western Digital WDC WD2000BB-00KEA0 (SATA) 99 °F
    Optical Drives
    ATAPI iHAS124 C
    Audio
    NVIDIA High Definition Audio

4. ddp

go with win7.

5. whiskey99

whiskey99 Regular member

HI,ddp,thank you

6. ddp

no problem

7. aldan

aldan Active member

looks like your processor supports 64bit os so i would go with a win7 64bit.

8. whiskey99

whiskey99 Regular member

HI,I was thinking that i could backup all that is on one of the 2 HDD'S and then download that onto just one of them as i have enough space to put it all on the WD HDD as
    it is a 200GB HDD,then wipe the SEAGATE clean,put WIN7 on the SEAGATE and start with a clean slate and the SEAGATE IS a 160GB HDD does this sound like a good way to go.
    I thought i could put a partition on the WD HDD to make it easier to go into HDD when i may need to.
    The other way i thought that would also work would to buy a larger HDD download WIN7 on it
    and do a partition download all that is both HDD'S to that partition which could use up to
    200GB of space,thank you

9. whiskey99

whiskey99 Regular member

HI,Well i may be getting a little delusional in my old age,but i have doing some research
    on WIN7 64 BIT and it appears that i can only run 4gb of ram because of my MOBO which to
    certain extent is no big deal it would be nice to run up to 8gb's of ram there were some other down sides but not enough to fore go not going to WIN7.
    Also i will still have my other HDD with WINXP still installed so i assume i would have to go and change boot order and use that HDD when needed.
    While i was rooting around on the internet about WIN7,i ran across a program called
    SECURABLE that did a analyzes of what i could get from a version of WIN7 64BIT OS.

10. dp70

dp70 Member

Microsoft has an application on their site that will check the computer and connected equipment for Windows 7, same for 8. It will leave a report on your desktop. Requires installing an ActiveX applet.

I have found older printer software presents the most problems. You may be faced with reduced functionality or software not updated by printer maker to force you to buy a new printer. HP is the worse offender. I use 6 Windows 7 computers at home, Home Theater and Video editing. The driver package on disk is very good. If you plan to do any BR crunching, a multi core CPU - at least 6, 64 bit o/s, and at least 16 GB ram. Less will be painfully slow. remember BR=6X+ data of "old" DVD. I have built around 45 machines w/W7.

You would be better served with Windows 7. I endured beta testing of 8 for 5 days, and credited my Doberman Pinscher description: Bow Wow! as best describing the beta 1 version. I very much like Windows 7...their best work since Windows 2000.