1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Win10 Start Menu and Cortana aren’t working?

Discussion in 'Windows 10 forum' started by Rictoria, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Rictoria

Rictoria Newbie

When I ran my PC running Windows 10, there was an error saying Windows 10’s ‘Start Menu and Cortana aren’t working’. Besides, before that, All of my files from D dish got lost. It was running windows 7 x64 and I did the free upgrade to 10.
    Any ideas? I freaked out by Windows 10.

2. ireland

ireland Active member

3. dp70

dp70 Member

I followed M$ destructions...all 3 of them. 2 days after the upgrade, Start and Edge disappeared. Every MS fix only caused more file system damage. I had to reinstall as in in-place upgrade repair. It is as much fun as watching grass grow. The result was revert disappeared, the DVD app is now a file placeholder.

Windows 10 when upgraded, has system restore OFF by default. I overlooked this, while setting up everything else.
    I was able to access a right click menu from START.

I am now on day 8- the only problem is the old cumulative update refused to install, and the newest "replacement"
    returns this: Cumulative Update for Windows 10 (KB3097617) - Error 0x80091007 . This is great progress as this update failure is a new fail code ( much sarcasm intended).

The made in India support demanded to access my computer to fix the problem- yet could not tell me the problem.
    My response was: the hell you will - I shut off my WI-FI, and the computer.

This was the first time since Windows 2, I had to resort to reinstalling for a fix.

So far I have had error messages telling me to turn on the already running 3 flavors of TSL in IE 11.
    I have no intention of using EDGE until the major November update ( or fire drill) In its last throes of death it just refused to connect to anything....My suggestion is do not act too fast, give the Nov. major update a chance- I am hoping MS does the same for us.

4. dp70

dp70 Member

All the MS fixes only damaged the file system further. I foolishly did not check System Restore- W 10 turned it off.
    I did a upgrade in place repair install to recover START/EDGE from a USB.
    I did have right click options still in START.
    The in place upgrade removed the DVD player, and my ability to easily revert to 7.
    DVD player, useless, revert to 7- nothing like a clean install.

I solved the critical update failures by removing the many entries in my hosts file. Over years it had grown large.
    Immediately after that, the errant critical updates decided to install.
    The error messages varied to a degree of uncertainty.
    I have been a beat tester since W95, I thought I had seen it all, but 10 changed that.

When 10 is working, it is very good.

After the repair, I had to delete and reload the MS core apps. I decided to go the fast cure fix, rather than waste time with undocumented fixes. Taming this OS sent me back to the command line, many times.

I discovered one directory created by the upgrade Windows7 was owned by my user before I allowed MS Account as a log-on. To clean this up, I had to edit permissions as it was owned by the old user name. This file was 8GB.

The documentation is not sufficient yet, and this is using Tech-Net.
    It is easy to blame MS, but consider the vast array of computers by different vendors that run Windows. They all have their own idiosyncrasies. Anyhow, up to day 10 all is well. I get hounded to run Defender at every start up.

5. dp70

dp70 Member

Dear Rictoria,
    After trying every MS fix, I was still able to start the o/s. I had to use an in-place upgrade repair, running setup from my USB stick. Then I had to delete and reinstall Weather, money, groove, I-heart.

I had prior critical installs that would not. Again using MS fixes was useless.

Over the years, my hosts file had grown large- immediately after removing the contents , my updates installed easily.

But- along comes Acronis and WD back up software declaring it is W 10 compliant...and the destruction of restore points. This time I had to reinstall Windows 10 in a new folder.

2 weeks in so far so good.

The MS add stream decided to play its own "custom" add, over Rachel Maddow - I have decided to ignore every advert sent from the hinges of hell. A few will ask about efficacy and would you recommend- I will check off the hell no box.

MS has stooped lower than page hijackers.

Documentation on Tech-Net is below MS usual excellence.

6. dp70

dp70 Member

Microsoft offers this work around as a cure all. I had to do an in place upgrade reinstall to get things back- the last Microsoft tech tried to blame my computer - except the Toshiba conflicting Atheros card was replaced by a USB Wi-Fi, long before Win 10. His use account was to restore Windows Store Movies & TV to working, instead of crashing the entire store app.
    After a Cumulative Update for Windows 10 after Version 1511- the poorly coded app began working.

I chose to not waste my time with the half-S- ed incorrect "fix"

Now the MS-Bing weather app displays a white screen and a location circle, but crashes with no map overlay- However The Weather Channel app works without incident.

I have used computers since 1962 as a math and physics major- MS has allowed greed to surpass coding. I have full Tech-Net access, and documentation on W 10 is lacking in every respect.

thank you for the suggestion.

dp70