1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

win7 missing boot rec

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by osoarrogant_prop, Mar 27, 2014.

1. osoarrogant_prop

osoarrogant_prop Newbie

I used the search option and couldn't find a fix for this anywhere. I have a win7 home premium sony Vaio laptop and for some reason my boot up files are either gone or corrupted. When I boot up it fails and says something to the extent of "Windows failed to load because a critical system driver is missing, or corrupt" I didn't manage to create a repair or recovery disk before it messed up and I cannot find one online. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If this isn't in the correct topic discussion, a point in the right direction would be great as well.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

Use the Recovery Partition To Revert Your Sony VAIO TO Factory Default
    While you should have a set of recovery disks for your Sony computer, you can actually use that recovery partition to restore your computer to factory condition.
    •Power on the computer and press F10 several times.
    •Choose Start Recovery Wizard
    •Follow the onscreen prompts.
    The restore process should take less than an hour to complete. When finished, the computer will restart and you will be presented with a Sony VAIO that has been reverted back to factory defaults. Be sure to immediately run Windows Update, install an anti-virus (unless there is already one installed) and then reinstall your back-up data and programs. Your Sony computer should now run faster and be more reliable.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-on-sony/2c4ef7e2-11ed-4e5a-90e8-0bb39d5d601c

3. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Check to see if it gives you the option to use the command prompt you maybe be able to either do a
    check disk /r
    & or
    repair boot &
    fixmbr

If not go grab a copy of oem win 7 home from any torrent,actually it most probably won't matter what version of home 7 for restoring boot record

The real concern is how did this happen in the first place was it virus,an incorrect shutdown or a corrupted sector on the hdd,No i'd start with removing the harddrive & running seagate seatools on it doing both short & long scans