1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WinAVI 7.5 - What a Croc ..

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by rufdymind, May 23, 2006.

1. rufdymind

rufdymind Guest

[bold]I'm going back to WinAVI 6.3 [/bold]
    Every version from 7.0 to 7.5 has been a croc of s....

For example, the batch convert function in Version 7.5 just does not work automatically like in version 6.3 which merges say 5x avi files quite easily into one DVD [bold]automatically[/bold]

With Version 7.5, the software very stupidly stops after every avi file to ask if you want to overwrite/merge it or not (and in bad english too). Not so good a tool if you want to start a conversion and then go and do something else.

It expects you to watch the program continuously so that you can press the button after each avi, to continue or not.

My recommendation - go back to version 6.3 which now looks like it will be the last stable version ever to be produced.

Ruf
    PS I wonder if the programmer of this software has ever actually tried to use it in practice.

2. matt72

matt72 Regular member

Last edited: May 30, 2006
  3. rufdymind

rufdymind Guest

Hi Matt77,
    Thanks for the reply. No, I havent tried 7.6 yet as I am not convinced anything has changed.
    I am a bit reluctant to waste more time on this after trying every version from 7.0 to 7.5.

If you have tried version 7.6 and can positively tell me it does batch converts automatically I could be persuaded to give it a go :)

rgds
    Ruf

4. matt72

matt72 Regular member

I have tried it and yes it does work. I have been a user since version 6.3 the only thing is I have used programs which I find better. Actually I only updated it as in the changelog it stated all errors have been fixed.

Last edited: May 30, 2006
  5. rufdymind

rufdymind Guest

Thanks Matt,
    Glad to hear it works. I will try it again.

I am also keen to hear what programs you find better. I have tried a few and many of them are a lot slower.

rgds RD

6. matt72

matt72 Regular member

Hi,

I have used nero vision express and convertxtodvd. The second of the programs is quite fast and you can use your software of choice to burn to dvd or it has its own burning engine. Nero vision express takes a bit longer but you have greater control of the uotput quality and making menus is a plus to me.

7. rufdymind

rufdymind Guest

Thanks,
    I tried VSO and IMTOO as well - they are ok but much slower to convert avi to dvd. Here is a test I did on a 350mb avi.

WinAVI - conversion done in ~12 minutes - obviously no menus
    IMToo - conversion done in ~30 minutes - has basic menus
    VSO - conversion done in ~1 hr and 5 min - has slightly better menus as you know

As for NeroVision, I have tried using it for Menus, but I didn't think it could convert avi to dvd ?

cheers
    Ruf

8. lisa_8023

lisa_8023 Regular member

Hi,in my opinion,i think the WinAVI is the more better program to do the conversion.It have the fast speed,and in the v7.6 it make a progress in the batch convert.Maybe it will add the menu in the new version.

9. rufdymind

rufdymind Guest

Well, a day later, and again I have found WINAVI 7.6 a load of rubbish for batch conversion. Thanks for the bad advice guys !!! Again I have gone back to WInAVI 6.3.

After all the advice given to me above I have again wasted an hour of my time with this crappy program that cannot batch convert and merge 4xavi files into one without constant monitoring.

The program still STOPS and asks if you want to overwrite or not, and then STOPS processing until manual action is taken.

In the options settings they now have the silly options of
    1. Overwrite file and 2. Create new file ..

What if I do not want 1 or 2 but I want to merge the files into one dvd - their option 1 destroys the first avi by overwriting it, and the second option creates 4 seperate dvds. All I can say is, why can the programmer not simply go back to 6.3, and make V7.6 work in the same way ?? Is it that hard?

Ruf

10. matt72

matt72 Regular member

@rufdymind,

Sorry to hear the software is not working for you but that is no reason to bash everyone that is satisfied with it. As with any software you will have to try to different ones to find the one that works for you. Personally I prefer convertxtodvd, nero vision express and then winavi. There are several guides floating around Afterdawn and a link I refer to is the first one in my signature.

11. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

no no no @ [ bold ] thread titles !! *tsk tsk*

lol

Last edited: Jun 2, 2006
  12. rufdymind

rufdymind Guest

Well, more bad news about WinAVI 7.5 and WinAVI 7.6. My recommendation is - DO NOT buy it. The batch convert function is now even worse than before and functionality has gone down.

I have just done 2 more tests and the 7.5 manual "merge" function that allowed a manual merge, is now broken and NOT WORKING at all in WINAVI 7.6.

In WINAVI 7.6 you now only get the option to "overwrite" which destroys the previous conversion, or "create" 4 seperate DVD's if you batch convert 4 x avi's. The merge option has been deleted.

Why anyone would include an option to "overwrite" seems crazy and stupid. Why would any normal person want to waste time creating a dvd and then delete it by overwriting it with the following avi. This is ludicrous.

Well done WINAVI, you have again surpassed yourselves in the stupidity stakes.

Ruf

13. rufdymind

rufdymind Guest

@Herbsman
    Apologies for the bold titles - now that I know about it, I will conform.
    cheers Rufdy

14. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

hehe - thanks !

15. lisa_8023

lisa_8023 Regular member

Have you seen the"For source files" after you select the 4 avi files?
    The merge option hasn't been deleted.In opposition to that,it has been improved.You can select the"Merge into one DVD",then it can give you one DVD folder which contain 4 files.If you select "Merge into one title",it will give you one DVD folder with only one .vob file.And it will not ask you foe create or overwrite.You can have a try.

16. rufdymind

rufdymind Guest

@Lisa
    No sorry I cannot see any "for source files" option.

I only get 2 options, "overwrite" or "create" - there is NO MERGE function anywhere to be seen on Ver 7.6 ....

The program STOPS after every AVI to ask "overwrite" or "create" in the batch convert - this should be Automatic !!!

If I select 4 AVI files, then the program STOPS 4x times and asks whether to "overwrite" or "create". I am not sure how much clearer I can say this to you. There is no automatic merge option !!!!

Ruf

17. June_0606

June_0606 Regular member

No,sir,after you select the file,it will give you a box named"Any to DVD/VCD/SVCD/MPEG",the "For source files" is in the middle of it, and if you can't see that,how you start the conversion?.You may need take care of it.Or you can visit the "HELP" of that program.

18. rufdymind

rufdymind Guest

Sorry, I still cannot find these hidden batch process merge options .

Why are the setup options not in the correct setup section of Winavi ?

Why hide them in a place where they are difficult to see or find ?

Ruf

19. Rock0

Rock0 Member

I also have WinAVI 7.6 and have a problem (though not the same as thread creator). I want a little more custimization in making dvds(like chapters and such) But WinAVI hardly has that. Is there antoher app that does that and still converts avi to dvd?

20. rufdymind

rufdymind Guest

@Rock0
    Read the other previous postings related to this article above..