1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WinAVI Troubles...

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by punknudle, May 13, 2007.

1. punknudle

punknudle Guest

Whenever I try to convert a movie using WinAVI it gets about halfway through, then shuts my computer down. I've tried a bunch of different files, and all the output formats. It also does it with other converters, but WinAVI is my main one. Anyone know what might be causing thator hiw to fix it? Thanks for any help.

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

PC could be overheating - one reason it will shut down.
    Transcoding is pretty cpu intensive too.

When's the last time you cleaned out inside the case? Dust can accumulate quite a bit. If you haven't done any cleaning open up the case and get the dust out. Canned air is good, a vacuum hose - just be careful around the boards. Clear dust away from the fans.

Keeping up on the other maintenance like disc cleanup, disc defrag, registry cleaner and virus scans? If you haven't done them recently do them. Here's a good free registry cleaner - ccleaner. Use the issues and cleaner options. It does a better job imho of the disc cleanup then the windows utility.

If you're multitasking when using WinAVI etc don't and close any unneeded programs.

3. pstamer

pstamer Guest

Hello. You might also wanna try tuneup utilities; there is a free trial. I swear by it. It will defrag and clean your registry, free up hardisk space, even shred stuff that you want to delete. Try googling it.

4. punknudle

punknudle Guest

I cleaned my hard drive up using ccleaner, cleaned the case out real good, disk defragged, and still have same problem. Here is a list of all proccesses running on my pc. I'm nit sure which ones I can stop and which ones I can't, if u could help me out with that I'd be most appreciative. Tnanks...
    [​IMG]

5. punknudle

punknudle Guest

6. chop2113

chop2113 Regular member

Well i would start with that limewire.exe 72,000 memory ouch!!! you must remember as well that you will need a good amount of ram and HDD space to convert your files..

7. binkie7

As chop2113 pointed out - stop the lime wire. If you have it set to run on start - stop it. start>run>msconfig.
    LimeWire is not known for being virus/trojan etc free - have you run a virus scan? Looks like your running MacAfee.
    I'd also suggest going to trendmicro.com and running the free housecall to see if it picks up anything after the virus scan.

What are your pc specs - like processor and ram?

8. punknudle

punknudle Guest

Yeah, I knew Limewire, forgot it was running when I did that. I don't run it while I'm converting, though. The PC is a Pentium 4 2.80 GHz, 504 MB RAM. Virus scan came up all clear, cleaned out spyware. I'm real paranoid about that stuff, I run those scans once a day. Should I try an uninstall/reinstall, see if maybe something in the program itself is broken. Thanks for your time.

9. binkie7

Yeah do a reinstall of WinAVI to the latest version.
    Your specs look fine.

What other ones shut down the pc too?

Anything change pc since this started happening?

Might what to test the ram to - here's a free one if you need one - MemTest

10. chop2113

chop2113 Regular member

I would also look into adding some more RAM. It could save you more headaches down the road and improve your performance.Im sure your aware not to multitask while converting but just your system alone is going to be eating up atleast half (if not more...) of your memory and that wont leave much left for you to use while transcoding..

Last edited: May 14, 2007
  11. punknudle

punknudle Guest

Reinstalled WINAVI, Memory is good, same thing though. I'm at a total loss, can't figure it out. Thanks for all you guys help, but I'm guessing it's time to give it up. Don't know what else to do. Thanks again.

12. binkie7

Yeah this one is puzzling.
    Try this free one - DivXtoDVD.

Last thing I can think of right now is the video card - check and see if the drivers are up to date.
    Some programs like the Nero (never used winavi) use directx 9.0c for some video stuff. Check and make to see if you have at least 9.0c.

13. punknudle

punknudle Guest

Hey ya all I got it working. Upgraded my DirectX and redid everything you all had told me before and now it works great. Thank you for all your help.

14. binkie7

You're welcome punknudle
    Glad to hear it's good to go now.

Happy Burning!

15. x1y1z1

x1y1z1 Guest

I think you should download a software to help you .

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2007
  16. punknudle

punknudle Guest

Not sure if anyone will look at this thread now that problem is but I didn't want to start a new thread just in case. When I convert using WINAVI, then burn the disk, the sides of the movie(left and right) are clipped some when I play them on my home DVD player. Is there any way to fix that or is it just something I have to deal with. I mean it's not bad, maybe an inch total, but if I can get the whole picture that would be great. Thanks for any help.

17. binkie7

No we're still around :) Email notifications are great.

Not a WinAVI user but just a thought - have you tried changing the aspect ratio say to 16:9 or 4:3?

18. chop2113

chop2113 Regular member

Im not familiar with WinAvi but i know that that TMPGEnc has different settings for 4:3 and 16:9 so definately check out the burn options.

Last edited: May 17, 2007
  19. punknudle

punknudle Guest

I have it set to auto, but let me try that. Oh when I play back the converted file before I burn it on the PC the whole picture is there, it's after I burn to disk the picture is clipped. I use Nero to burn. Thanks for your suggestions, I'll give that a try.

20. binkie7

Give changing the aspect ratio a go. Check the file on your hard drive b/4 you burn it.

I would think the cutting off bit lies more with WinAVI. I normally leave it set to automatic too but I use Vision or ConvertX.

Can't hurt to try another program also to see if it is WinAVI.

Keep us posted.