1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Window XP Start up

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by wells2u, Aug 3, 2007.

1. wells2u

wells2u Guest

Hi,
    i got a problem with my pc. my pc startup and shut down on me. i can
    not get window xp to come up. it start and shut off over and over. do
    anyone know what is wrong with my pc and how can i get it come on.
    Thanks

2. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Well, this could happen for a number of reasons. The first thing you should do is to open your computer and blow out all dust bunnies with a can of compressed air. Then with the computer open turn on the machine and make sure that your PSU fan and CPU fan are running. If you have any internal or external fans make sure they are running as well. Turn the computer off and make sure that your memory is seated firmly.

If all fans are working see if your machine will stay on if you boot in safe mode? When starting the computer press F8 repeatedly until an option menu appears. Select Safe Mode and see if your machine keeps running.

Let me know if your machine will run in safe mode.

Let me know the outcome

3. wells2u

wells2u Guest

Hi,Syxguns
    I open up my pc and blow out all of the dust and restart my pc and hit
    F8 to get to the safe mode and hit enter for safe mode and i got a
    message-Mult,disk(o)rdisk(o)partition(1)\windows\system32
    Mult,disk(0)rdisk(o)partition(1)\windows\driver
    and on and on with the message it look like the message is about my
    hard drive.The messages is about 35 to 40 and is about the systems
    do you know what is all about? do i need a new hard drive?
    Thanks

4. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Well, it is hard to say. Did your machine ever boot in safe mode? If you can get your computer to boot in safe mode then you could do a system restore located at Start-> All Programs-> Accessories-> System Tools-> System Restore.

Has your HDD been making any clicking sounds while the machine is running? Normally when you start to hear those sounds you make a backup of your system. If you HDD has been making clicking sounds then it is possible that it has gone out on you.

If your machine will not start in safe mode then follow these steps. Boot your machine pressing F8 again and select "Command Prompt Only". Then you will need to run a chkdisk on the system. Here is a page from Microsoft that explains how to do it. Scroll down to where it says "Manual steps to run Chkdisk at the command prompt" http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

In case the Microsoft article doesn't say it make sure to use "chkdisk /r" (/R is used to locate bad sectors and recover readable information)

Hopefully chkdisk will work for you if your drive is not damaged. From the messages you pointed out above it could well in fact be your Master Boot Record that is damaged. Using the Command prompt again you could type, "FDISK/mbr" to fix your master boot record. please note that you need the "/mbr" as the switch to make this work. Please try the other two options first. The Fdisk/mbr would be your last option.

Let me know how it goes.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2007
  5. wells2u

wells2u Guest

Hi,Syxguns
    No, i did not get into safe mode the message come up, and yes my pc do make clicking sound.I try to do the Command Prompt only, but the message come up again.(lol)
    Help!!!!!!!

6. syxguns

syxguns Active member

wells2u-
    I hate to say it but your HDD is fried. You will need to buy a new HDD and start from scratch. Is your current HDD or computer under warranty? If it is then you could probably get it replaced at no charge. If it is not then you will need to buy a new HDD to replace the old one.

You will need to make sure before you replace the HDD what type it is, meaning IDE or SATA. If it is an IDE and you can not find a IDE drive then you will have to buy a SATA drive and an IDE connector for the drive.

You will have to reinstall your OS on the new drive and start from scratch. This means that all of your programs will have to be put back on your machine. The other thing is that you will have to download all updates to your M'board for the drivers.

There is a device that you can buy to be able to read files and copy them from your old HDD if it is not too far gone. This device connects to a USB port on your system. If your drive is IDE then make sure to get one that reads from IDE. They are around 45 bucks.

In some cases if the machine is old and slow people normally just buy a new machine. That is because they do not know the fundementals of building a machine. You could take it to a computer person to do the repairs for you but that is very expensive.

How much do you know about computers? What is the processor in the machine? How much memory do you have? Would you rather spend 50 to 100 bucks to get the current machine working? Would you rather buy a new machine? Would you rather build one from scratch?

I ask these questions because much of it depends on you knowledge and finances. Changing a HDD is pretty easy and I can walk you through that. Let me know what you want to do and I will walk you through it all the way. If you are going to change the HDD then let me know what kind of M'board you have so I can see if I can find updates for the BIOS that you will need to install.

7. wells2u

wells2u Guest

Hi,Syxguns
    I got me a new HDD and put it in, but i try to load winxp on and i got
    a message--NTLDR is missing. I put the winxp disc in my other Pc
    and it run, i also put my win98 disc in my Pc with the new HDD and got
    the message. What is wrong with my pc.
    Thanks

8. syxguns

syxguns Active member

NTLDR (NT Loader) is not able to boot. Basically there could be several reasons for this. You mentioned a new HDD, but is the new HDD formated? It may be that you need to use a boot-up disk to format the drive.

It could be a faulty IDE cable causing the problems. The other thing could be a bad setting in the BIOS. I found this site that you can follow the directions on. I hope that it will help. http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000465.htm

You mentioned Win98. Win98 runs on the FAT32 file system and XP can run on the FAT32 file system, but it suppose to be NTFS. If your system is FAT32 because of an upgrade from Win98 it is very easy to change it to NTFS. Let me know if that site helps you out. If the new HDD was just purchased, you may also need to purchase an IDE cable. That is of course as long as you are running IDE. Every thing now is changing to SATA.

Let me know what happens, and good luck.

9. wells2u

wells2u Guest

Hi,syxguns
    Sorry for not post back, but i got two jobs--i got my pc to work
    So thank you for all of your help.
    You guys at aftherdawn is great.
    Thank again