1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 10 eeepc 900a

Discussion in 'Windows 10 forum' started by keebles, Oct 5, 2023.

1. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

You never did say if you tried what I suggested in post 12 relative to the slowness. Temporary files have a huge effect on browser (and system) speed.

2. keebles

keebles Regular member

for some reason web browsing is slow on any os I try. even when connected directly to the network using a cable. also antix has issues updating. using 32 bit version.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

you do realize that cpu is only a single core running at 1. 6ghz.

4. keebles

keebles Regular member

Yeah I know, trying to find something that runs on this unit.

5. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

I understand your response to my last post but did you actually try what I suggested?

Also, how large is your C: drive and how much free space does it have?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2023
  6. keebles

keebles Regular member

120gb SSD with just the OS installed. I have tried different oses and the same results. Windows 10, 7, 8, Ubuntu, Debian, anti x Linux, tumble weed os. Everything that requires a network is slow. Updates, web browsing, downloads, are all slow. If it's already on the netbook, it runs fine.

7. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

With a SSD, you would need to reboot and remove trash using a utility that comes with your drive after doing the Disk Cleanup. For the life of me, I can't remember utility names. Maybe somebody else will help.

8. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

The unit has 3 USB 2.0 1.1 ports. Do you have access to another PC? If so then you could try making a live bootable USB drive using Linux. You will have to make it your primary boot drive in bios by disabling all others. This will allow you to boot from your thumb drive as though it were your hard disk, and then you can use it to explore your old drive's files. Once you're satisfied with the extraction of files from your old drive, then you can prepare it for reinstallation. There is apparently already a version of Linux for your unit.

https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/asus-eee-pc-900

9. keebles

keebles Regular member

I have formated it many times while installing new oses. I just think it's too old to actually handle anything anymore. Windows 7 and anti x Linux run decent. They just have issues with network connections being really slow. I know it's not my Internet set up since my my tower PC and Xbox have no issues with the Internet. Same thing with my phone when connected to wifi. I have both 2.4 and 5ghz enabled. The eee PC is only able to see and connect to 2.4ghz. I have even used my phone as a WiFi dongle( phone is connected to 5ghz wifi and hooked up to eee PC using USB cable). It somewhat sped up the connection, but not by much. The Ethernet port has the best results (still lags, just not as much). I just think the machine is just too old for any real use now.

10. keebles

keebles Regular member

The version of Linux that came with it has been discontinued long ago. It has no updates to make it even somewhat usable. The company itself is no longer in business. Im just trying to find something that is light weight, but useable for possibly browsing the web. But that is starting to get even harder to do with all the new requirements for web browsers. IE6 seems to be the last browser that it could support easily. I even tried to ie11 on it, but it only loads certain pages and errors out on others.

11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

It doesn't matter that the version was discontinued because it's one of the operating systems made for your unit and nothing completely disappears from the net. Your unit is never going to effectively run something new because it doesn't have the power or the hardware for it. It's also a 32 bit system and a lot of newer systems are 64 bit, that's also an issue. If an old web browser is what will work on your unit then that's what you should be using. Another point to consider is that newer version operating systems won't have the drivers you need to make it work either, and if you find drivers that do work with it, they also won't work with newer operating systems, so your best bet is to stay with the one that came with your Asus eee pc 900. Linux has a history of working well on low powered units so in my view a 32 bit linux version is what you should be looking for.

This is a Linux version that has been proven to work with your unit. Just be sure to get a 32 bit version.

https://q4os.org/downloads3.html

Last edited: Oct 31, 2023
  12. keebles

keebles Regular member

Thanks! Just trying to figure out how to speed up the mouse. I have turned up the speed, just doesn't seem to work as quick.

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

So then you've managed to get a working operating installed? If so what is the operating system so that the right person can assist you? Also, is it a wired or wireless mouse?

14. keebles

keebles Regular member

i installed q4os 32bit. i am using the built in touch pad

15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Great, let us know how it's working out because someone else might benefit from your experience. Ad member ps355528 is a Linux user and might be able to help you with any nitpicky issues.

16. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

I'm going to be honest and admit I had to look up q4os .. might be useful but personally I'm more an AntiX type for ancient hardware.