1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 10 Replaces Manually Installed Drivers - Breaks touchpad

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by krj15489, Oct 5, 2019.

1. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

I have a Lenovo T440s laptop running windows 10 pro 1809. I hated the touchpad so I bought one for a newer model Lenovo and swapped it out. I have the drivers that I need and have the ability to make everything work by manually installing it via the device manager. My problem is that windows keeps deciding to replace the drivers I manually installed with the generic synaptic which doesn't work.

Is there anyway to force windows 10/windows update from updating my drivers? I've tried a few things but it seems to ignore my group policy and registry changes.

EDIt - FYI I do have this attached to my own active directory and have the tools for doing GP updates and etc..

repairmyphone likes this.
  2. aldan

aldan Active member

3. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

Thanks for the link. An update though after I tried that fix. It worked fine for a while but then the next reboot windows had replaced the drivers again. I checked the device manager and it has swapped my correct Lenovo Touchpad driver for the generic windows Synaptics driver. Had to manually swap the driver and reboot.

I have a feeling that no matter what I do windows will tell me I'm wrong and change all my configurations :(