1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 2000 Pro Password Protection

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by Batman06, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Batman06

Batman06 Member

My closed about 2 months ago ang gave away a few computers and printers. But when I finally found time to hook everything up and turn it on the screen came up to a Ctl - Alt Del then I must enter a user name and password, which I don't have the os is Windows 2000 Pro is there a way around this are should I just "bite the bullet".

2. kgtrain

kgtrain Regular member

yes there is a way around this (with xp anyway) i dont see why it wouldnt work with 2000. restart computer & tap F8 until you get the screen with the option to boot in safe mode, click that & logon as administrator... you shouldnt need a password & it should log straight in. click start, run, type cmd & enter. a comand prompt will open then type net user & enter, choose the account name you want to logon to & type net user followed by a space then the name of the account you want to login to then another space & hold down shift+F8 (*) & enter then type a new password for the account, restart & logon.
    eg
    net user
    net user kayla *
    then type new password

easy as that (hopefully) :)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2007