1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

windows 2000 sp4 help needed

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Jazzar, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Jazzar

Jazzar Member

Hi folks.
    i have a pc running windows 2000 professional which now fails to boot and is asking for the service pack 4 disc so that it can do a repair.
    i dont have the service pack 4 disk.
    i have downloaded the sp4 from microsoft page, but this is a self extracting installation file as opposed to the sp4 disc which holds multiple folders the various .inf files that i require for the repair.

Question 1.
    can i just run the sp4 exe file if i can get the machine into dos mode, or do i need windows 2000 to be running before the sp4 can be deployed ?

Question 2.
    does anyone know where i can get a .iso file of this disc which i could then burn onto a disc ?

Any other ideas would be welcome.

Thanks to all in advance.

2. whompus

whompus Active member

Have you made yourself a disk to try? Use W2ksp4.exe /X You will be asked where you want to extract to. Then put the contents of the folder you extracted to on a cd.

3. Jazzar

Jazzar Member

Thanks for the info.

I used another pc and got into cmd prompt and extracted the files to a folder.
    I then copied everything to disc.
    i checked that the disc had the files, this was mainly 1 main folder 'i386' which had various other folders and files within it.

When i boot the win2000 problem pc, it asks for the service pack 4 disc.
    i put in my disk with the 'i386' folder and files, it then says it cant find the nt5inf.cab file.

I cant get the problem pc to boot even in safe mode or cmd promp only etc
    It loads up with the 2000 splash screen and halts with the service pack 4 disc message.
    I searched the i386 folder for nt5inf.cab but didnt find it.

Anymore suggestions welcomed.

4. whompus

whompus Active member

On the disk you made you will not see the file there because you will see some *.ca_ files. Those are compressed cat files and the file you need is inside one of them.

You may be having the problem a lot had with directcd blocking access to them during upgrade. If that is the case you will need to take these steps.

When you get to the point it asks where is the file.

Press SHIFT+F10. The Command Console is displayed. The current path is %Systemroot%\System32.
    Type: cd drivers, and then press ENTER. The folder should be %Systemroot%\System32\Drivers.
    Type: rename cdudf.sys cdudf.old, and then press ENTER.
    To close the Command Console, type: exit. Then restart the computer..
    After the upgrade has completed and the computer is finished restarting, you may receive an error message: "At least one service failed to start". This error refers to the Cdudf.sys file being renamed.
    Open Windows Explorer and locate the %Systemroot%\System32\Drivers folder. Rename the Cdudf.old file back to Cdudf.sys, and then restart the computer.

5. Jazzar

Jazzar Member

I think you may be right regarding the cd part.
    I tried putting the hard drive in as a secondary drive in a good pc and it stopped the good pc from booting successfully.the good pc had a cdrom and a dvdrom unit fitted originally.dont know if this is because both have an mbr partition on them.

Then when the 2000 hard drive was removed from the secondary ide and the original item ie a disc drive put back in place the result is that the good pc now boots up but no longer sees any of the two disc drives on this system within device manager.

Will let you know how i get on with your suggestion whompus(its trying to get time when your running after kids)_.

Thanks again.

6. Jazzar

Jazzar Member

OK DID WHAT YOU SAID.
    But it failed to find the cdudf.sys file.
    and when i try to change from c prompt to d: which is the cdrom drive i get the message device not ready.

can i copy the cdudf.sys from a windows xp pc and save to floppy and possibly get it onto the 2000 pc ? will give it a try.

Anymore info greatly appreciated.

7. Jazzar

Jazzar Member

I have stumbled upon the exact fault and fix on microsofts web page, i have the fatal error and code 1 displayed as in the article when the file its looking for is not found.
    THIS IS THE LINK:-
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/228852/EN-US/

Effectivly saying the cdrom needs firmware updating or a new cdrom which is compliant with win 2000.
    So off i go on the next level of swapping cd units over, i have about 4 pc's in the house and about 4 cdroms and 4dvdroms so plenty to try out.

Will post and give you info on how i get on.
    Thanks again to all.

May still need help in getting the good pc to recognise the cdroms any help on this would again be greatly appreciated.

8. Jazzar

Jazzar Member

HELP still required.
    i've tried a hitachi dvdrom instead of the compaq cdrom.
    NO joy.
    i'm still confused that the a: drive is not recognised.
    I thought that the floppy drive was basic i/o direct access etc for pc's, surely the floppy does not need to be windows 2000 compliant, bearing in mind that this pc was working fine on 2000 until the service pack 4 was installed.

Any thoughts, i should be able to boot with just a floppy drive fitted or am i wrong is 2000 xtra special?

9. Jazzar

Jazzar Member

I have sussed the problem and thought i would let you know.
    Basicly my hard drive is totally goosed.

I could access the a and d drives when discs were put into them , the drive not ready message only appears when discs are empty.

I tried a windows 98 boot disc and tried wiping the disk using fdisk and then tried to format the new set up , resulting in the format failing at 3%.
    chkdsk and scandisk also failed.

So i only have to fix the good pc which no longer recognises any rom drive units, since putting the goosed hard disk into a good pc as a secondary hard drive.
    I will update later with results incase it can help others reading this post.
    Thanks for input from all.

10. ireland

ireland Active member

i will tell ye how to get a new 2000 with sp4 cd on it..
    this is if ye bought the cd at a local store as i did..

call microsoft and tell them your old 2000 disk is defected..or as i said to them it had cd-rot at that time the replacement cost me 23 dollars..

call here
    1-800-360-7561