1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 2000 with DWL-122: Network Cable Unplugged

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by two4two, Feb 6, 2007.

1. two4two

two4two Member

I have a dual boot Win 98SE and Win2k. The DWL-122 works just fine on the Win 98SE side. On the Win2k side I downloaded the latest driver and utility from D-Link website. When Win2k boots it recognizes it for a while but then loses track of it somehow. There are two green LEDs on the DWL-122. One shows it has power and the other shows it is being connected to. In Win 98SE, when everything is working properly, both LEDs are on solid, the Aircfg.exe utility is executing and it shows a "D" icon in the systray. If the "D" icon is missing it's not working and one of the green LEDs blinks. The Aircfg.exe task may be running, but the icon is missing and the LED blinks. In that case we shut down, unplug the adapter, re-boot Win 98SE and plug in the adapter. Win 98SE then recognizes the adapter, loads the Aircfg.exe utility and the "D" icon appears, and both LEDs come on solid. In Win2k, the Aircfg.exe utility is started, but no "D" icon appears, and the LED blinks. We know the adapter works because it works in Win 98SE. We believe it is the correct driver because we downloaded it from D-Link and we choose the one for Win2k. Win2k device manager shows the DWL-122 is working properly. Task manager shows Aircfg.exe is executing. But in network connections, it shows a LAN network using the DWL-122, but it says it is unplugged. I disable the connection and then I enable it. Win2k thinks for a while and both LEDs on the adapter come on solid, but then the pop-up appears that says the adapter is unplugged, and the LED starts to blink. So, this Win2k is Win2k trial version from many years ago. Is there something for wireless networking that they maybe didn't include in Win2k back then? Or is it because it's the trial version? We can't install any service packs because it's a trial version. We don't want to do XP or anything like that because it is an older computer. We just want to test Win2k and if it works, get a full version and keep it running until Microsoft completely ends support. THEN we'll get a new computer. Anyone know anything about why the DWL-122 can't work in Win2k? What am I missing in Win2k?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

ran into that problem with a friend's 2 laptops that had w2k on both. couldn't connect via wireless. ended up installing xp pro & connected here off somebody's unsecured wireless router so was able to do all window's updates. he finds out afterward that he didn't press the reset hard enough on the d-link router when trying to get to work with w2k so might worked with w2k. don't know