1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 2000 wont reformat

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by bryanoens, Jun 15, 2007.

1. bryanoens

bryanoens Member

My problem is with windows 2000. I have a windows 2000 disk which says it holds win2k professional and win2k server on the disk. I have a computer that is already running win2kpro but I want to reformat it and re-install win2kpro. I have tried both ways of running the disk after windows has started, and by running the disk from the startup by changing the boot sequence. Either way I do it, results turn out the same. It does not allow me to reformat the drive. If I place in the disk when im logged into windows, it just copies files, reboots the computer, and then restarts itself back into win2k. If I do it from the the first boot, it just brings up the OS selction menu and asks whether I want to run win2kpro or win2k server. Ive tried to format through MSDOS but it says that the volume is locked and cannot be turned off or formatted. So I am stuck with what I have...crappy huh

On another computer I have, it also runs win2k server, but not professional. I wanted to reformat the drive and put on win2kpro. Once again I run into problems. When I place in the disk, at either boot or in windows, it actually does delete the partition but when it asks me what OS I would like to install, it has win2k server and win2k server setup. Where is the professional selection?

Could it just be a bad disk? It is the original copy of the disk. And maybe might someone be able to let me know why I cannot format the C drive, and why it gives me that volume error in msdos?

I know I have a few questions but if you dont have to know them all, just post what you know. Its been real frustrating not being able to use these machines.

Thanks for your help

Bryan

2. geramy

geramy Member

try going to www.opensource.com
    download linux then install it and format your hdd using it
    then reinstall win2k

3. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

I would suggest bypassing Linux, though it may work as well... but download the hard drive's diagnostic ISO, burn to CD. Boot with it, and run a low level format, or "zero" the drive. You can also run other tests on the drive to make sure it's still in good working order.

Once the drive's been zeroed, setup will see it as a new drive.