1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 7 and 8.1 users report Windows 10 upgrades are enforced on their systems

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by ireland, Oct 15, 2015.

1. ireland

ireland Active member

Windows 7 and 8.1 users report Windows 10 upgrades are enforced on their systems

Reports are coming in that Windows 10 upgrades seem to be enforced on some systems without users explicitly giving permissions beforehand to download and install the upgrade to Microsoft's newest operating system.

Two new types of Windows 10 upgrade messages appeared lately on systems running previous versions of Windows. The first displayed a a timer counting down from 60 minutes giving users options to start the upgrade process or reschedule it (but not disable it).

It's almost time for your upgrade

Save your work and leave your PC plugged in and turned on. Your PC might restart several times during the upgrade and it might take a while. We'll let you know when it's done.

Starting the upgrade in

The second displayed only the option to start the Windows 10 upgrade process after searching for updates using Windows Update (again with no option to stop the process).

Your upgrade to Windows 10 is ready.

You need to restart your Pc to being the installation. This might take a while, but we'll let you know when it's done.

Both are reported by the creator of GWX Control Panel, a free program for Windows to block the upgrade to Windows 10 on user systems.
    read more
    http://www.ghacks.net/2015/10/15/wi...ws-10-upgrades-are-enforced-on-their-systems/

2. cyclops1

cyclops1 Member

Hello Ireland. MicroShaft has thrown another curveball. FYI, I have become aware GWX control panel no longer works. I have modified group policy to disable Windows Version Upgrade. If you are you not aware, KB3065987 or KB3083710 must be installed for that function to be available. I just love Tuesdays and Wednesdays.