1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 7 HomeGroup problems

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by AssKlown, Jun 25, 2011.

1. AssKlown

AssKlown Regular member

Hey guys, I recently bought a laptop running Windows 7 home premium, and I'm trying to network it with my existing desktop, running Windows 7 Ultimate.

I've set up a home group using my desktop, it gave me a password to use on the laptop, which I inserted, and I can see my desktop under the homegroup icon on my laptop, however whenever I try to access any of the libraries, it says it cannot access. I run the troubleshooter, and it says the laptop is fine, but the desktop is not configured properly.

I've allowed network discover, and set my D drive to be allowed for sharing under the advanced sharing menu, but still no go... all I'm trying to do is access my D: which is located in my desktop via my laptop, and share files between the two.

can someone please help.

2. AssKlown

AssKlown Regular member

DDP, any suggestions??

P.S., I should mention I'm running Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 on my desktop, and running Norton Internet Security 2011 on my laptop. I have set my KIS network settings under firewall settings to Local. I have not adjusted NIS on my laptop. Funny thing is that I can access my laptop via my desktop without any problems (which is probably why the troubleshooter says the laptop is ok), but not the other way around.

please help anyone...?!

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

disable the norton temporarily to see if that allows access to the drive.

4. AssKlown

AssKlown Regular member

It seems as though its the other way around. I have NIS on the laptop, however I can access files on the laptop via my desktop. I have KIS on my desktop, and I CANNOT access files on my desktop via the laptop.

I don't think Norton is blocking anything, as my files are accessble. I've tried disabling KIS on my desktop, but its still a no-go. I've also disabled windows firewall. I've set drives/folders to share with everyone under advanced sharing...?

i dunno.