1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 7 new build & HDD

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by deanoapps, Jan 7, 2010.

1. deanoapps

deanoapps Member

Hi,

I am trying to install Win 7 and it wont find my HDD or any Drivers from my motherboard cd. I have read i might need to format the HDD, as its going into a complete new build can i do this from .dos somehow?

Many thanks for any help.

2. Xplorer4

Xplorer4 Active member

Some system specs might help, but really when you first boot win7 it should auto install all your drivers for you unless your using some ancient hardware.

As for Dos, Dos hasnt played a major role, on a consumer end, in windows since Win3.1. Dos is pretty much useless these days.

3. deanoapps

deanoapps Member

Hi my specs are:

motherboard: GA-MA770-UD3
    HDD: WD Caviar Blue 640GB
    CPU: AMD Athlon 6000+
    GPU: Zotac Eco 6800GT
    RAM: Corsair XMS2 4GB (2x2)

4. Xplorer4

Xplorer4 Active member

Have you tried to simply install it all the way then see if windows picks up the drivers needed from windows update? It may take a few boots to get fully up to date.

Is the HDD new? Are you sure it connected correctly(both SATA and power connector)?

BTW, mobo cds are usually worthless. By the time you get the cd the drivers are out of data. Your better off getting the drivers from the gigabyte website.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/...?ProductID=2982&ost=windows+7+64bit#anchor_os

5. deanoapps

deanoapps Member

Hi, just pulling this back from the dead, been away for a few months and tried to fix this today this problem is still very much getting to me.

This is a brand new OEM drive, it shows up in the BIOS when i check that, go through the windows install process and it wants the drives for the HDD these i cant find and am led to believe its the drivers for the motherboard that i need. have downloaded the latest version but cant get them to show at all, i could be doing something wrong there not sure though.

i have managed to install an old IDE drive no problem. and then connected the new HDD it shows up no problem, so i cant see that it is a faulty drive.

will using a floppy drive help in anyway shape or form?

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

When is it asking for the driver for the hard drive? Try moving the drive to a different S-ATA port and using a different cable and see what results you get then.

7. deanoapps

deanoapps Member

Hi,

I enlisted the help of a mate who does this stuff for a living, and he could'nt get it working either, so came to the conclusion the drive is dead, another S-ATA drive showed up straight away, gutted as i've been away for a bit i now cant return it.

thanks for all the help guys.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hard drives typically have 3 year manufacturer's warranties, you can send the drive back to WD for a replacement.