1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 7 Screens

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by EWOcelot, Jan 11, 2009.

1. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

I've started having problems :-( every time I boot it does a little scandisk thing, Gadgets have disapeard and the manager thing won't open at all. Finally office 07 runs really badly and keeps crashing.

2. EWOcelot

EWOcelot Member

lol and I suppose you could afford DDR4

3. EWOcelot

EWOcelot Member

Maybe you changed something recently. If its that bad try system restore

4. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

Found the solution after having a fiddle. All my problems were caused by me turning off User Account control what does that have to do with any of my problems?

5. EWOcelot

EWOcelot Member

ah yeah when you said gadgets didnt work I wondered if it was UAC. If you turn it off it wont work anymore, but I don't think microsoft office stuff would have problems.

6. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

With UAC turned off Word sat at the splash screen for 3 minutes with it turned on its almost instant. Weird.

Another weird thing is Performance index [​IMG]

The scores don't seem right looking at EWOcelot proper PC's scores and assuming he hasn't changed his rig from the one in his blog. My OCed Athlon 64 X2 6000 is running at 3.32Ghz (it could go further but I'm happy with it at that speed) yet gets a lower score then his 3GHz Core 2 Duo I know AMD chips are slower but surely not to that extent.
    Also why the tiny difference between my IDE drive and his SATA drive?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  7. EWOcelot

EWOcelot Member

actually I stopped the 3ghz clock and went down to 2ghz. But yeah thats my score. I don't know about AMD chips but yes the general consensus is that they are considerably slower than Intel chips.

and yes SATA's are a lot more capable than IDE's they have faster transfer speeds for the most part.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  8. SProdigy

SProdigy Regular member

EWOcelot, is that a functional "Stardock" at the top of your black & white themed screenshot? If so, what software are you running?

9. EWOcelot

EWOcelot Member

Yes, its Stardock's Object dock which is free on their site. Im in Windows 7 build 7000

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I just discovered something friggin AWESOME!!! Ive been waiting/searching for something for a while now. I gave up a while back. Looks like windows 7 answered my plea. Simple, works well, comes with windows. Im sure there was something out there, and I just didnt look hard enough. But I am quite happy with this little adjustment :D You can control audio from different applications all in one environment!!! I dont know if vista had this, but im one happy guy here :D
    [​IMG]
    I may just be first in line!!! No no, not just because of this audio mixer, because the overall windows 7 experience is 9/10. I dont believe an OS has EVER impressed me this much!!!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  11. EWOcelot

EWOcelot Member

Odd I only have a few options on mine

[​IMG]

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I opened multiple programs to show them. Run an IE window that has audio, it will show up. I was running a gaming site(splashspot), WMP, etc. It works in real time too. You dont need to close reopen. Im sure if one were to open other audio based apps, they'd appear in the window. Im not sure how it would adapt yet to SEVERAL programs(more than say... 20!)

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Heres another shot. and it would appear, if one so wishes, the window can be expanded/stretched to a suitable size. So it will handle ALOT of programs simultaneously!!! It also controls multiple IE windows. E.g. youtube, gaming site, etc etc.
    [​IMG]

Something kinda interesting. Imgburn popped up in the mixer, when it played the success tune. It must respond to audio driver utilization, or something along those lines.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  14. SProdigy

SProdigy Regular member

Wow that is really frickin' cool. Nice find.

15. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Yah...I LOVE IT!!!

16. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

I've been running win7 since jan 9th and they have done a couple updates so far. Though my media player still doesn't work and i can not evaluate my windows experience because it freezes durring the process. It's what to expect from a beta, though there is a lot of added hardware support vista had no idea how to use. Even the manufactures website said the hardware was not vista compatible.

I have a P4 @ 3ghz and 4gig ram it's a dell gx280 optiplex corporate workstation. Besides the mentioned defects the operating system runs suprisingly fast and doesn't have any problems doing every day tasks.

I will probably buy the retail version when it comes out in august.

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

When you say it doesnt work, what EXACTLY do you mean by that? Will it open fully? Is it when you try and play a media file? what type? etc, etc.

I have not had any problems with the media player. Infact, I find it quite nice indeed! Though ive been told, and heard across the web, DO NOT allow it to update media files. It will cut out the first 3 seconds of an audio file, ON SOME audio files. If im mistaken I apologize. But its scared me enough to NEVER allow it access!!!

Ive ran 2 different boards by the way. An MSI that is not vista certified, NO PROBS. And my New gigabyte board within my Signature. Both have performed flawlessly so far.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  18. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

Well you can open it by itself but as soon as you load any file and try to play it, the whole computer will freeze and you'll have to do a hard shutdown. Then when it's back on and running it's fine unless you attempt to open a wmp embedded web page. Even if you are watching a youtube video and maximize the screen it will freeze. I think it has something to do with the display driver but i doubt it because it wouldn't have any effect on the audio files i try to play. Also i put a few multimedia programs on it and all of them run flawlessly if they don't have to deal with windows media player. The only exception is adobe premiere, which is outdated anyway.

I'll probably try to reformat the computer using a different build of win 7 to see if i got an early version that had more bugs than newer versions. If not i can just throw vista ultimate on it again and disable aero.

Either way i think win7 is a decent os that i might be willing to mess around with a little more if i worked less. But we'll see, maybe they'll release a patch for those experiencing problems with wmp. I have sent proably 20 feedback messages durring this testing process.

I still have a laptop and 2 other desktops so it's not a big deal that this computer can't run wmp.

19. navskin

navskin Regular member

I found that bulid 6800 of the os was good if you took some files from Vista and injected them into windows 7 Like disk defrag because it did not have one, other thoughts on 7 is that it can work more smother than vista ever will although vista is a nice and smouth OS aswell. Also i like the superbar thats cool. windows 7 well where do you start, i found that it just about runs on most things like 1ghz processor and 512mb of ram 20gig hdd and it can be a good netbuster box.

But on the down side i failed to see it feature DX10 or the new 11 that is coming soon. although my gfx card is only DX10. I found that the windows media play is a little bit diffrent in some ways to vista but in other ways the same as media play 10 for XP you can like a skined version and the normal bog standard version(i like the skined version. The other thing i seen an improvement was when i was running games on 7 that i got 10 to 15 extra FPS whe i was gaming.

the sound feature that people are taking about above has been round since vista and some of the vista betas. (so that is nothing new). i dont like what they have done to the sidebar IE having no side bar and just gagets. the other thing i get a better banchmarks on 7 my normal benchamek score is 9367 on my gaming rig then on 7 i get 1143. so maybe that just a glitch or not i dont know BTW that was with 3dmarks06 no tryed vantage yet.

thanks for listening

graham

P.S sorry for the bad spelling.(if you know of a spell cheack for Internet Explorer please let me know).

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I apologize about that. I didnt have the unfortunate experience of running vista :p Not that it was a completely useless OS, I simply heard alot of bad things about it. I was unaware that it had this ability. I think its friggin awesome! One of the more exciting capabilities of windows 7/vista. Im also liking the new MS Paint!!! MUCH better. Its overhaul was VERY needed, LOL