1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 7 Screens

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by EWOcelot, Jan 11, 2009.

1. navskin

navskin Regular member

i like the new paint to so dose my little bro as he can be very crative with paint lol. on the other hand i have come round to vista at this moment in time as i now see that it is not just a useless OS but very like windows 7 in alot of ways.

thanks for hering me out

graham

2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I use it for lots of simple tasks. Ultimately though, I still like/love photoshop. Probably always will :D As funny as it sounds, the simple tasks seem to be the more difficult ones in adobe photoshop. Which is why I employ MS paint. I can do alot of the more advanced tasks, but the simpler things I havnt gotten around to learning LOL
    Your quite welcome :)

3. navskin

navskin Regular member

i am having some problems dual booting it with windows vista after install and expanding of file it tells me that the setup can not continue and that i need to start agian. anyone else had this priblem. i have tryed re burning the iso and it dose the same thing i know i havent got a bad disc so what do you think it could be.

thanks

graham

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

When you say dual boot, I assume you mean both OS's on the same Drive? If so, Im not sure how thats done. I have multiple drives. So I installed windows 7 on another drive. My new mainboard gives me the option of either OS after post. Havnt done anything with partitioning yet, or dualbooting. Havnt gotten around to either. Eventually though. I wanna learn it all :D Wish I could help you :(

5. EWOcelot

EWOcelot Member

Graham what your doing is dual booting.

But not sure what the problem is omegaman7, where did you get the iso from?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well now! I am officially impressed!!! Once again people, I didnt get to use Vista(or want to), so am unfamiliar with it. I just discovered speech recognition within windows 7! If its anything even close to Dragon naturally speaking, then i'll love it. Some of what I read about it sounds ALOT like dragon. Almost like they used some of their techniques! In any case, once again, I WILL BE FIRST IN LINE FOR "windows 7 ultimate!!!" Hmmmfff. With all these capabilities, I wonder what ultimate is gonna cost? I hope its not pushin 300-400 dollars!!! Cant afford that right now. I suppose if I start selling my blood/plasma ehhh, LOL

7. navskin

navskin Regular member

So dose that mean they finaly got right the speach recinightion?? I have fixed my dual boot problem by installing on to a sep drive so thats that sorted. I would like to see round abouts what the price would be that would be nice to know. I found that M$ are trying to do away with alot of the menus in windows 7 compared to how many there is in vista.

Has anyone tryed 64-BIT version of 7 would like to see how that fares and anyone tryed using the nvidia beta driver for 7. I have found that NO beta driver have poped on the ASUS web site for my motherboard. No thing new on there for a while tho.

Have you tryed the new windows shacke i like that comes in handy for when you want to minimize a lot of windows at once. But i did find the idea stolen form Mac OS X not sure what it called on os x but works a treat still. I think there could be doing with a few more option yet on cutomizing the GUI. The only thing that is bugging me is that when i right click on my optical drive is that they have taken away the option to explore the drive. But on the up Side they have only change the name from explore to OPEN.

Another thing i would like to see in 7 is that UI improve ments more simply because i give it my dad to use on his speare drive for a couple off weeks now and he says that it seems to be more complacated to use. that is just his thought on it....

That inuff of me ranting

so you was talking about the price of it i thought when vista first come out that it was way over priced and they need to take this into consideration due to the world economic state at the momment in time.

thanks for listing

Graham

EDIT:forgot to say that i also got it booting from vista bootloader along with mac os x so so dose dual boot well when not on the same drive with another windows OS. I got it setup using EasyBCE work perfect.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I am running 32bit now. I did however run 64bit for a few weeks. Im not sure about the 2 bugs that I did encounter. Google desktop does not have a 64bit installer, so I tried FORCE installing the 32bit version (NOT RECOMMENDED), It locked up one of my cores indefinitely! I havnt tried it on 32 bit yet. Another thing ive noticed, was that installer packages transferred via usb flash drive, were discovered corrupted by an XP machine. But when the same machine running XP transfers to the other XP machine, all is well! I suppose it could amount to driver issues! It is a beta release after all. Vista drivers were no help. So certain hardware may need windows 7 catered drivers. E.g. MOBO's(system drivers), GPU's, printers, etc.

Other than the 2 minor bugs, its just as incredibly smooth as the 32 bit.

By the way, I have 4 flash drives. ALL of them yielded the same results! Trust me, I tried almost everything! It seems to be isolated to 64bit operating windows 7. Never tried XP 64bit.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  9. EWOcelot

EWOcelot Member

Sorry. I meant what Omegaman is doing is still dual booting. The OS doesnt have to be on the same drive to be considered dual booting. Just sharing the same PC

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Ahhh...thanks for that! I wasnt certain as to that classification :)

11. SProdigy

SProdigy Regular member

I have also had the WMP video lockup issue. The supplied drivers for the Nvidia GeForce 440 Go came straight from Windows Update.

Sound is working fine. If I load a WMV file WMP opens a small windows (it has a background that looks similar to the Vista login screen) and that's all I get. System is instantly locked.

I was able to open WMP by itself, but as soon as I File -> Open the WMV file, it opens that smaller "Vista looking" window again, and the system is locked.

So, I figure maybe it's something to do with WMP. I downloaded Media Player Classic, and wouldn't you know the system still locked!

Does anyone have a solution for the above mentioned nVidia card on 7? I heard it was a pain for Vista users too, so maybe a Vista fix or solution would work? I'm still hunting for answers...

12. navskin

navskin Regular member

Try windows XP or Windows Vista Drivers for your graphics. and do the same for your sound till you find witch drivers is causing the lock ups.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  13. EWOcelot

EWOcelot Member

There was a WMP patch that fixed a ton of problems. Ill try to find it

14. SProdigy

SProdigy Regular member

Found the WMP update here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/961367

It did not fix my playback issue, so I'm going to try and hunt down drivers that will work with GFX card.

WGA ACTIVATION ON WIN7:

Interesting enough, I never put in a product key during installation, just to see what happened. Today was the day it "expired" and I started receiving nag screens every few minutes stating that my OS was not "genuine" and I "may be a victim of piracy". The desktop wallpaper turned black and in the bottom corner where it says the build version, it added the line "not genuine". I put in my key and made that go away quickly, but how annoying!

15. SProdigy

SProdigy Regular member

Okay, well the WMP fix didn't fix playback; rather WMP doesn't crash and lockup the entire PC. It launches and pretends like it wants to play the video and does nothing.

Still leaning towards the GFX drivers, but I've tried at least 3 different variations on the same with no luck. MPC still locks up the PC when trying to play a WMV.

16. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

Looks like after all the mayhem it turns out to be the graphics driver. Though the weird thing is if i update with the driver from dells website i lose the ability to run 3d acceleration (which is pretty odd). With the driver win7 installed the first time everything worked fine besides windows media player.

I can get WMP to run if i change the driver over to the one on dells website but then i lose all my different resolutions and ability to run the default screen saver. It's a pretty sad situation so far.

Also every time i start up the computer it goes to reinstall the driver, even though it already installed successfully. It really doesn't make any sense, there has to be a conflict with the display driver and win 7.

So.....I think if i could get a vista driver from dell for that chipset i would be set, but there's no vista drivers available so it looks like i'll have to start pulling numbers from the board and the chip and go that route.

I've been in this boat before when i installed xp pro on a vista machine that dell only listed vista drivers for. I had to pull apart the laptop and get part numbers, but it all turned out great in the end. I'll let you guys know how far i get and if there's actually a solution to this problem.

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Perhaps a little something to reliven the thread.. huh! LOL!
    Heres an updated windows 7 experience. New Harddrive, New processor. Im now running Phenom II deneb 940 @ 3.0ghz for this test. Im gonna bump it back up to 3.5 to see the difference. Im also now running the velociraptor 150GB! Very awesome drive. Windows 7 is up and running in under 30seconds!
    I also MIGHT consider a little overclock of my 8600GT. But im still a few weeks out from an upgrade, so im a little nervous about attempting it LOL!
    [​IMG]

OK, heres with the overclock. As you can see my Graphics score dropped. Not by much however. Probably just a minor fluctuation.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

HO ho!!! I bumped it up to 5.3! With but a minor 20Mhz overclock!

19. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

Sorry to steal your thunder a bit but my £40 Samsung SpinPoint 320GB 7200RPM 16MB scores 5.9. The same as your £150+ 150GB VelociRaptor...

and mines probably quieter...

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL, HAF 932 CM case, VIRTUALLY silent :D at least from where I am There is a slight kinda purr. And it hasnt been properly broken in yet. HDD's require exercise LOL

My WD FALS 1TB also gets the same score. Its 7200 also.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009