1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 7 Screens

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by EWOcelot, Jan 11, 2009.

1. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Its pretty logical when you think about it. The more people testing the OS, the better. They'll be up to their neck in data, to analyze. Though, there is another way to look at it too. They know its gonna be a spendy purchase, and they want people addicted to the OS! Fine by me, for the first time, an OS that Microsoft has produced, is WORTH buying. VERY smooth! I cant wait to try the RC. There are a few bugs, im interested in finding out if they've been resolved.

3. mistycat

mistycat Active member

It does make sense that the more people trying it, the better it would be for MS if it's as good as it seem's but I should have been born in Missouri, isn't that the show me state? At any rate, the Window's 7 beta was far better than Vista SP 1. I tried Vista but beside's being huge, there was a myriad of other problem's with it, I don't use it but WMP didn't even work and no other version would install. A lot of people are saying they won't go to 7 unless it's a free upgrade from Vista or incredibly cheap ($50-$100), neither will happen and I don't think that's very realistic. Actually the opposite, I think, the better it is.

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  4. djscoop

djscoop Active member

okay here's a silly question. so is the beta test version free to the public to download and use? If so, anyone got a link on where to get it?

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

It'll be available at microsofts website Tuesday. As well as Multiple other sites im sure. Just be patient buddy :) Tuesday's the day :D

And its not the beta anymore. It'll be the RC release(Release Candidate). Free to try for 13 months so I hear

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  6. djscoop

djscoop Active member

bitchin, thanks dude!

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

No problem. Getting excited myself :D

8. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

Yeah, I got an email from Microsoft about it the other day which cleared up a couple of the details - Yes, it'll be available to anyone, there will be absolutely no limit on downloads and keys given out and the RC will work until 30 June 2010. The interesting thing is it said it will be available from "5 May PST", so does that mean on the dot midnight? Shame I live in the UK, have to wait till 8am - stupid time zones ;)

All us guys who have the beta will have to do a full re-install, people on Vista can just upgrade and keep their data, so that might well help on uptake.

9. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

No idea, i got it a few days ago. Could've sworn my PC's clock said May 5th at the time. *Ahem* :p

10. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

Curse you :(

11. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

Does anyone known whether the RC will take Windows easy transfer files from the Beta? I'm kinda pinning my hopes on it working

Methinks I'm gonna try and get tomorrow off :)

12. mistycat

mistycat Active member

The beta was free to the public but key's are no longer available and MS discontinued the practice. Supposedly, RC 1 is being released to the general public on May 5 but I'll believe that when I see it, there is a link to the original post above.

13. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

or you can go to the other source and get a copy if you're impatient *hinthint*. at least RC doesn't freeze AIM6, unlike build 7048.

beta keys will fully activate RC.

[​IMG]

and yes, i did remove the watermark.

14. mistycat

mistycat Active member

It was true, lot's of link's, here's one, may be a tad busy though. Think I'll wait a few day's if it is: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/download.aspx Edit: dialup would be faster and, unlike the beta, I see that info will automatically be sent to MS by the pc; that doesn't impress me.

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  15. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

Of course it was true xD Anyway, try the download again, I just got it in around 2 hours from the official site so they must be doing something right... Not bothered at all about the fact info is sent automatically (if what you say is true) - it's still technically a beta and the whole point is for MS to identify problems that remain.

16. mistycat

mistycat Active member

From the link above, 2nd paragraph: "How do you test the software? You put it on your PC, and then do what you'd normally do. Your PC will automatically and anonymously send our engineers the information they need to verify the fixes and changes they made based on the Windows 7 Beta tests." The beta had a manual send feedback, the RC does it automatically, not a big deal, I just don't like any program that phones home.

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I got Microsofts email, about the RC. Since I subscribed when I downloaded the Beta. I got it in about an hour and a half XD Cant wait to get it installed this coming weekend. I'd do it sooner, but ive already got tasks lined up for the week LOL! At least I haven't completed too many missions on GTA IV!

18. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Guess I should have read the FAQ.

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  19. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

20. djscoop

djscoop Active member

creaky i love the look of your desktop. i have yet to install windows 7. how much configuring does it take to get the memory and hard disk information you have on the desktop?