1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 7 Screens

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by EWOcelot, Jan 11, 2009.

1. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  2. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

I think you're having too much fun finding widgets to clog up your desktop :)

Finally installed RC1 last night after backing up my data from both partitions (XP and the 7000 build), now just one partition with Windows 7 - am liking the new welcome screen.

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well...I hope that the RC has solved something I have been encountering in the beta. Windows XP would refresh thumbnails in real time after say re-authoring via favorite graphics program. Where windows 7, ive been having to exit the folder, and then reopen it. Im thinking their new indexing service, may be the culprit. But, I know absolutely sheet *LOL* when it comes to programming. Something im currently working on :D
    Oh, and it also doesn't like "Previewing" HIGH resolution files either. And paint doesn't like opening them either. Even though its the program that scanned it! Most unusual. At least photoshop doesn't care, and will open them. LOL! I hope Microsoft reads/finds this.

EDIT - even more unusual, if one opens a .BMP file with MSpaint, makes even one change to it, saves it, it now becomes a 32bit .BMP file. When it was 24bit to begin with. Now, I dont know if its a problem with the 32bit windows 7, but this occurs every time with windows 7 64bit. MOST unusual LOL!

EDIT 2 - I suppose the Image preview could simply be due to an nvidia driver. That doesn't explain why Mspaint is converting to 32bit, without my say so!

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

On another note, "Bryce 6.1" appears to work with windows 7. So far, its looking like some VERY advanced visual authoring. IM IN LOVE LOL!

5. creaky

Windows 7 RC1's first bug ~ http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=1003

A-ha - that explains why i was having trouble deleting things yesterday. I got around it each time by just rebooting to XP (triple boot PC) and deleting folders from there. Sounds like a Vista-ism made it's way into the x86 version eh :p

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  6. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

From how I read it it sounds like only non-administrators would have problems? And I guess this is what the update my PC installed last night was addressing.

(And I'm done with having more than one O/S on a single computer, it annoys me :p)

7. creaky

No even the Administrator mode Windows Explorer and Dos prompts are affected. I personally don't ever use Windows Updates so i'll get continue to get around this by booting into XP to delete stuff. Better still i won't create folders in the root folder (i rarely do that anyway).

8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Hmmf. That does sound rather serious. I did a face palm for Bill creaky, LOL! At the same time though, im currently incapable of such complex calculations, so I won't knock Microsoft too bad for the first bug. :)

9. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

Anyone succesfully running 64-bit?
    Me and my mate have had to clean install to the 32-bit Beta we had previously because 64-bit RC froze randomly not long after boot even on completley clean install--my spec is in sig, His spec:
    Intel Core 2 quad Q6600
    Intel board
    2x 1GB DDR3
    Saphire ATi 4870 1GB
    Colors IT 650Watt
    320GB Samsung Spinpoint 7200RPM 16mb SATA II

10. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

i've been running RC x64 with no problems on this gateway desktop. x2 5600, 4gigs ddr2-800 corsair ram, hd3870, 150gig raptor x, corsair hx520.

11. creaky

'fraid i'm just an x86 person ~

E6400 C2D 2.13GHz, Intel GMA 3000 (Onboard GFX), 4GB PC2-5300 Ram, Windows 7 RC1 x86.

(Dell Optiplex 745 SFF)

[​IMG]

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I'll be running X64 before too long. Probably within a few hours. Ive been running the X64 beta throughout. Problems have been minimal, and mostly printer issues. Since epson hasn't catered a driver yet, OBVIOUSLY im not complaining LOL! I did find some work a rounds though. Doing some yard work right now :(

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

OK. Its up and running. Im now running Windows 7 RC X64 edition. So far, one dissapointment(same as beta 7000build)! When its first preparing to install, it just seems like its sitting there doing nothing. They really need to implement something, that says something like working...working...working. Otherwise some people might think its locked up. Not a big deal, in fact im probably being too critical LOL!

14. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

Here's my desktop right now; nice and plain and boring and oh god there's a whole two icons :p Desktop picture taken by myself :)

[​IMG]

And how about a performance score shoot out? I'm sure there'll be higher scores than mine around here - omega's should be good (very good)

[​IMG]

They've really done wonders with the quality of the jpeg compression in paint - it used to be terrible, now it's almost as good as png/bmp. Interesting thing i have noticed, however, is that the compression when using the snipping tool is still pretty poor which is a shame since i'm one of those people that hates to see artifacts, back to paint for me :)

15. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Not as good as one might think LOL!
    [​IMG]
    Sorry about the thumbnail. I haven't reinstalled photoshop, and it blows away paint at resizing.

Im sure this has been posted at least once before, but why not make it even easier for a googler :)
    To erase the "Windows Experience Index" Type/paste the following in the search/run bar.
    1. %SYSTEMROOT%\Performance\WinSat\DataStore
    2. Now click on the datastore folder
    3. Delete all XML documents
    Vuala! Now refresh your Experience index :)

I felt that I needed to do this after OC'ing my CPU.

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

WOW. I forgot how easily/quick my printers install on XP! It took 10 times as long on Windows 7. Though drivers haven't been catered yet :D Apparently my printers/software mesh MUCH better with XP then windows 7 for the time being. Im sure that will change given time :) Printers have been finicky since the dawn of time LOL! Im lucky they work with the OS PERIOD! LOL!

17. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

My printer works even better with 7 than it did with XP :)

And wow... Only a 5.9 for the VelociRaptor? Mine's a plain old boring Samsung 7200rpm and that manages 5.8 :p

18. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

I'm beggining to think its 4800 based although it does it when your on the windows suplied drivers

Also when does the Beta expire?

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  19. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

The first of June next year, though from (i think) March it will automatically shut down every 2 hours to try and force you to get a new operating system before it actually expires.

20. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

Not for me it ain't ;-) Found something before you replied.
    Also I don't have watermark or send feedback
    [​IMG]