1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 7 updates

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by hogan, Feb 22, 2013.

1. hogan

hogan Regular member

I've had a HP desktop for about a year. The last few months it will not update Windows 7. I have 37 pending updates. When I boot the computer it starts installing the updates. Then it stops, backs them out and reboots. Same thing on shutdown. It takes 10 minutes to boot and shut down my computer. Thanks in advance for the advice. hogan

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Your not getting impatient & shutting the comp off manually as there's a number of updates that require to be installed on shutdown & others when rebooting & while it's booting it will update then reboot numerous times depending on the updates themselves,the .NET updates require a fair bit of time to install & you may not get all of them installed in one go

If the OS has become corrupted you may have to revert or check to see if the updates are already installed

3. hogan

hogan Regular member

Thanks for the help. No I'm shutting down manually. I boot and let it run its course. It will start to install, then stop and back them out. Then reboot itself without updates. It will do the same when I shut it down.

4. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  5. TreePro

TreePro Regular member

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum.

7. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Man this is going to be a long winded procedure however, bring up the the list of updates it wants to install then cross reference those with already installed updates, to be sure its not failing because the update is already there

1-control panel

2-programs/features

3-view installed updates -its in the left when your add/remove window comes up

if i was in your position i'd use the recovery console & be done with it & reinstall windows only this time run some imaging software then go grab the updates after which do another image

edit:
    other option is delete all updates & try again after reboot but this time make sure no drivers are updated

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  8. aldan

aldan Active member

ive used the ms help and support website for this problem.they walk you right thru it.