1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

windows 98 and v220

Discussion in 'Motorola phones' started by ciocolata, Jan 2, 2005.

1. ciocolata

ciocolata Member

i have windows 98 and i do not know if that is a problem, but i would like to know if anyone out there is using it with v220 phone?
    I installed v1.23 updated to 2.16 and when i go into melody studio, the transfer button is greyed out.
    also, when i first start the program and try to install the driver, i direct it to where i know the drivers are and it says no driver found. anyone online right now who can help me?

2. rockdawg

rockdawg Regular member

Have you actually downloaded separate USB Modem drivers for the V220? I have installed those drivers first BEFORE installing the mobile phones tools and it has worked on both computers. Also, you might want to try performing a Live Update to update the software to v3.xx.

3. ciocolata

ciocolata Member

so then should i delete everything first...drivers and mpt via control panel and add remove hardware...and then reinstall drivers...reinstall v1.23 and then update to 2.16?

4. rockdawg

rockdawg Regular member

yeah, I would and then also make sure the Mobile PhoneTools directory is removed from Program Files.

Reboot. If you don't have the USB Modem Drivers, I can PM you a link. It's a small file. You need to install the drivers first BEFORE you install the MPTs.

5. ciocolata

ciocolata Member

okay i deleted everything...reinstalled drivers...installed v1.23..rebooted...installed v2.16..rebooted...started program..clicked on usb cable hookup..then turned on phone..plugged cable into phone..plugged cable into back of computer..and now its been 10 min...and the screen stays at the clock spinning and my cursor just turns into hourglass on and off...what now? updating...i clicked cancel..phone opened up bottom right hand corner...in the phone on computer..is a little yellow box with red circle and line thru it..when i hold my cursor over top of it...which is still changing back and forth from hourglass...it says no modem installed.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2005
  6. rockdawg

rockdawg Regular member

After you deleted everything and rebooted, I would have powered on my phone, made sure the reception was good, then plugged my phone into the computer. When the computer asked me for the drivers, then I would have pointed it to the directory with the USB Modem Drivers. I would have rebooted after that and then installed MPT v1.23, rebooted, installed v2.16, reboot again. All this time, my phone was on AND plugged into the computer. Then I would have started the MPT program and searched for updates.

7. ciocolata

ciocolata Member

I have a zip file named "Motorola usb driver"...in it is 2 files named..."USB_driver.exe".....and "motoclub.com.gif"
    when i click on "USB_driver.exe" it goes through it's installation. So from there where exactly does the driver go and where do i tell windows to look for it"

8. rockdawg

rockdawg Regular member

Oh, OK...the drivers I have are actually in their own directories - EX: Win98, WinMe, Win2K, WinXP. So in my case, I would just point the Hardware Found Wizard to the WinXP directory.

download it here:
    <I deleted the link...I should have PM'd the link>

Last edited: Jan 2, 2005
  9. ciocolata

ciocolata Member

okay...so now should i redo everything?..or can i just try to update the driver now...cause what i did was plug in the phone to the computer..and of course the hourglass thing just keeps going on and off again.

10. rockdawg

rockdawg Regular member

just try updating the drivers. You may have to go into your Device Manager and look either in the Modem section or USB section. If your Motorola USB Modem is in there (make sure your phone is definitely plugged in and turned on), just right click on it and either select properties or Update Driver or Reinstall Driver. I don't have Win98 anymore, so I 'driving' blind with what choices you are given. If not, then redo everything again.

11. ciocolata

ciocolata Member

okay...i clicked on device manager..and now its asking me for a file called usbcdc.cat;PRECOPY1.CAB...but there is nothing like that anywhere on my computer..especially with that precopy1.cab extension...what now?

12. rockdawg

rockdawg Regular member

sounds almost like it's asking you for your Windows 98 CD. Do you have this directory on your computer:

C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS
    or
    C:\WINDOWS\CABS

Your CAB files should be in there if you have a name brand computer...otherwise, you may need to locate your Win98 Install CD.