1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

windows 98

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by iraj, Mar 14, 2004.

1. iraj

iraj Regular member

hay
    do you know how can i install the windows 98.
    right now i have window xp but when i put the windows cd 98 in cd rom i can not start the pc from cd rom to install the windows 98
    can you help me

2. andmerr

andmerr Guest

have you by chance done a clean install first

3. iraj

iraj Regular member

hay
    what you mean
    by chance .I start pc and if i push F11 than I can start pc from cd rom but when i put windows98 .than pc can not see nothing in cd rom
    but first i must clean windows xp .ok. but how. if you say when i install the windows 98 the pc ask me to do.but i can not start pc with windows98 diskt
    tell me easylly plaese i am amatur not pro
    thanks

4. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

Windows 98 SE will allow you to boot from CD-ROM
    Windows 98 will not.

You may need to make a Windows 98 boot disk. There should be a folder on the CD called "Make Boot" (or something like that." If not you can download an executable from http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

Now if the hard drive is formatted in NTFS you will need to reformat it with FAT32.

Just curious..... why would you want to go to Win 98 from XP?

5. iraj

iraj Regular member

because i have philips dvdrw228k and in the burning
    opration with nero came lot of error .the problem seems to be a communication and the burning will be stop in %10 burning. i tried also to upgread burner froem philips website but nothing change. thats why i want to try in windows 98 .do you know what is problem

6. forkman

forkman Member

A little more information would be helpful,Like what your Pc specs are? What version of Nero you are using.
    Because if you roll back to Windows98 I think you will end up with more problems than you started with.

7. Motomatt

Motomatt Regular member

hay,

I had that EXACT burner like 2 years ago and it worked fine for me with XP. You need to upgrade your burner firmware, maybe check if you have ASPI drivers installed. The DVD burner you have is a 1st generation dvd burner.(really old).. If I am correct it only burns DVD-RWs.. I cant remember that far back.. That might be where you are getting your errors.. trying to burn on a incompatable media.. I know for sure it works with XP though. You dont wanna do that WIN98 thing...Hope this helps

matt

Last edited: Mar 17, 2004
  8. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

I would have to agree with what everybody else said. Although Win 98 was great in it's time, and I still use it on older computers that I put together, I cannot see how Win 98 is going to fix a hardware compatability issue.

9. iraj

iraj Regular member

hiy forkman
    windows xp
    AMD ATHLON (tm) xp 2400
    256 MB RAM
    40.2 GB
    nero 6

10. forkman

forkman Member

You have everything you need,try Motomatts advice and check if you have an Aspi layer installed and upgrade the firmware.
    I read somewere that Windows 98 has problems with to much memory,so stick with what you have.
    Good luck.

11. forkman

forkman Member

12. iraj

iraj Regular member

hay forkman
    when i start pc that in begining came ULTRA DMA MODE 6 S.M.A.R.T BUT DISABLE
    do you know what is that and is nothing efect about the burnner

13. fritchdog

fritchdog Guest

That is about your hard drive, not your burner and is nothing to be concerned with. Go to Phillips website and look for updated drives/support. To get a bootable disk for 98 try microsoft website for download. It simply fits on one floppy, and has a utility on it called FDISK that you'd type at the c:>

14. fritchdog

fritchdog Guest

my I also recommend going to Ebay and buying a new burning supported by XP.

15. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi iraj, If that last post is an error message you are getting on startup, it looks like your DMA settings are disabled. That will cause a bunch of problems in burning.
    First go to
    START---SETTINGS---CONTROLPANEL---SYSTEM---HARDWARE---DEVICE MANAGER. Then click on each Hard Drive and DVD burner drive one at a time. Then on each one open the settings tab and see if you can enable DMA for each one. I'm hoping you can change it there with out going into the BIOS settings. Then restart. See if you can do that.

Jerry