1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

windows activation

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by kiwi1, Jul 14, 2007.

1. kiwi1

kiwi1 Regular member

I just finished building or rebuilding my first computer from the remains of an old one I had here that has a genuine windows lisence, The only parts I reused are the drives, everything else has been upgraded. I reinstalled windows xp from the disc I have here and got the activate message, which I was able to do with no probs. I got all the updates and everything was fine until this morning when I restarted after installing updated chipset drivers. It says because of signifigant hardware changes I must reactivate,now I have three days to activate windows and it wont take my cd key, it says the max number of activations has been reached with that key or something to that effect (this hard drive has been formated alot of times.
    It gives a number to call but what info will I need if I call up? the original computer was given to me by my father inlaw and he doesnt know what details he used when he first registered it a long time ago. Is there another way to work around this? I have the original disc and the box it came in right here, I just want to get rid of the activation crap, PM me if you must, or am I better off to call microsoft?
    Thanks

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

You can always call Microsoft and they will resolve your problems for you. You can also get an activation crack. Try searching that up on a bittorrent tracker, you will get something.

3. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

call microsoft, they'll give you a good key.

abuzar, we're not allowed to discuss cracks here. prescribing them is against the rules.

4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Oh sorry then.

5. kiwi1

kiwi1 Regular member

I was a little weary about searching for windows cracks so I decided to call and see what they say and it was really really easy, just explained why I had installed so many times and about the upgrades etc. problem resolved, thanks anyways.