1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows comes to a halt upon playback.

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by sledbc, Sep 26, 2003.

1. sledbc

sledbc Member

When i start to play most movies (mostly divx and xvid encoded ones) my computer comes to a grinding halt for a minute or so until the movie starts to play....no hard drive activity is going on at this time, it just sits there, i cannot move my mouse or anything. Once the playback starts all seems well. Running xp pro on an athlon xp2100 with geforce ti4200 and detonator 45.23's soltek nforce2 mobo.
    Previously i had no problems such as this then they started. I formatted and reinstalled everything clean on a new hard drive and the problem continues. WMP sits saying "opening media...... or connecting"
    Non encoded movies, such as video clips taken with my canon digital camera play fine with no hesitation. Im using the same codecs i always have, xvid, divx5 and ac3 installed on a clean format.

ANY help is appreciated, thanks.

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Could it be a lack of keyframes?

3. sledbc

sledbc Member

Its not a problem with the files, they play fine on my other computers, as well as previously played fine on this computer.

Im thinking its a hardware problem with my ti4200, bad ram or something, any ideas?

4. Praetor

Have you tried a different player?

5. sledbc

sledbc Member

yes, same problem....as i mentioned before, even after a reformat the problem remains but not as severe as previously.

6. Praetor