1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows COPY vs. MOVE commands

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by peterbj7, May 7, 2007.

1. peterbj7

peterbj7 Member

I've asked this question previously elsewhere but never received a response. I'm hoping someone here can help.

The COPY command writes a facsimile of the file to the new location, leaving the original unaffected and maintaining all references to that original file. The MOVE command similarly writes a facsimile to the new location but also transfers all file references to that new version. It then deletes the original.

So far so good. My problem is that when writing a sequence of files to a new location using the COPY command, if a file is encountered which for some reason fails the validation tests performed before the main command, the command ceases processing the sequence and abends. The result is that it's often impossible without a lot of work to establish which files were processed and which were not, rendering the process worse than useless.

If processing the same sequence using the MOVE command, a message is flashed up when a corrupt file is encountered giving various options, one of which is to bypass the file and continue processing the sequence.

What I want from the COPY command is that functionality provided with MOVE. Is there any third party command that will provide this functionality? I mean a command that is not merely a variation on the MS command because that will have the same flaw, but written from scratch.

Now having reached 60, I was writing assembler/machine code software and operating systems before DOS appeared, and watched the fledgling Microsoft appear. At the time I didn't understand why they adopted some of the conventions they did (the above being a prime example, others being [Ctrl][Alt][Del], [Tab] to move between fields; even [Rtn] was assigned its current functionality arbitrarily, and of course "Windows" was a term invented by Lotus which originally had a rather different meaning) and sometimes regret I didn't stay in the field!

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Maybe you should study XCOPY, and the use of the archive bit.

With this, it is possible to discover which files have been copied/moved.

Last edited: May 8, 2007