1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Dual Processor machines vs My P.O.S. iMac

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by macburner, Dec 11, 2005.

1. macburner

macburner Guest

Hi there, um I just had a few questions for people who have used a NLE (Non-Linear
    Editing System) on a pc. As much as I love my iMac G4 and the Mac OS X operating
    system, I find that I need to upgrade to a dual processor machine (Rendering SD DV and
    encoding MPEG-2 takes hours) but after taking a short lived trip to a local Apple store,
    found (not to my surprise) that I was going to have to drop about $7000 on a quad-core
    g5 with the new final cut studio and other software. However on the PC side of things I
    can get a Dell Dual Processor for Half the price of a G5. One of my major concerns about
    switching to a PC is the software. I hear Avid is good and so is Vegas+DVD. Has anyone
    used used any of this software? What are the differences? Effects? Filters? Is the interface
    as clean as Final Cut? How about rendering and encoding times? Your help is
    greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2005
  2. SypherTek

SypherTek Guest

i havent used any of that software but i do know that the quad g5 is well worth the money if your doing a lot of video editing. its quite a beasty machine

3. anubis66

anubis66 Regular member

yes, vegas is great. our school works with that company and others like it. it can to wonderful video editing and has loads of special features you can do.

4. macburner

macburner Guest

Thats great to know, what kind of machine are you editing on and how fast does it render on that machine?

5. anubis66

anubis66 Regular member

my machine blows, im upgrading soon. my processor is a 1.95ghz amd, 1 gig of pc2700 ram. it does decent on my computer, and i bet even greater on a more owerful machine.