1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

" Windows eplorer has aproblem and must restart...."

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by FishinGuy, Nov 19, 2006.

1. FishinGuy

FishinGuy Member

I have an external hard drive and when I access it I get the explorer has problem error. I can open up the drive no problem. If I open one of the folders thats when the error button pops up. If i don't acknowledge the error I can open whatever I want but as soon as I click "don't send error report to windows" my system locks up.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

2. Niobis

Niobis Active member

I had this exact problem with my external HD. But, it would only happen when I would open my 'Movies' folder which contained about 20-30 films. And it would only happen on my computer. I tried it on 3 other PC's and never had the problem. I posted my problem here, but unfortunately never found a solution. Fortunately though, the problem went away by its self after some time.

Does it do this on another PC?
    Have you scanned the HD for malware?

3. FishinGuy

FishinGuy Member

it does seem to only happen on the movie files. I have scanne the drive with norton but nothing comes up. I have not tried on another computer but i will try

4. Niobis

Niobis Active member

Seriously? That's very ironic! :) Or did you mean "It doesn't...?

Eh, you might want to get a second or third opinion-Norton is weak. Try an online scanner such as: Kaspersky or ActiveScan. Just remember to choose the external HD and not 'My Computer' when asked what to scan. Scanning both at once will take way too long.

5. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

Most likely, Windows is trying to preview those movies and can't find the codec, so it crashes. Try, before anything else, disabling thumbnails/previews. It may be necessary to set this globally in My Computer->Tools->Folder Options->View and check Display Simple Folder View in Explorer's Folders List and also check Do Not Cache Thumbnails. Click Apply to All Folders and then click Apply at the bottom.

P.S. Norton's is probably one of the worst product makers on the market. You ought to see their serious stuff, not just the consumer products...ugh!...

Last edited: Nov 19, 2006