1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

windows installation problem

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by umer209, Jan 13, 2008.

1. umer209

umer209 Member

i got a new hard drive and im having problems. the windows installation doesnt come after i make the partitions. it reboots and then it says press any key to boot from cd so i dont press anything because i already did that so instead of installation some numbers letters come.

CAN ANY BODY HELP ME PLZ.

2. rogeball

rogeball Regular member

When you say Numbers and letters come up what do you mean?? it sounds as if it could be a bad hard drive. If you can try and RMA the drive back to the manufacturer or bring it to a local repair shop and ask them to Spinrite the drive for you to check for bad blocks or sectors. Also check the disk your install disk might be crap.

3. DedShadow

DedShadow Regular member

Yeah sounds like a dud hard drive dude. But can you explain the error a bit more like the above poster stated? And when you get past the partitions, does the computer just reboot itself or does it lock up altogether? Oh and btw, can i ask what a RMA is? Quite curious.

4. phill2000

phill2000 Guest

You may also have problems with the system not knowing which partition it is supposed to be booting from. I have had this a few times.

To get around it I ran setup again deleting any existing partitions first (I'm pressuming this is a brand new drive with no data on it, otherwise try and back it up).

Then create either a single partition using all the disk space, or create a single partition with a fixed size. Do not create other partitions on the drive yet.

Format the partition, install windows, and if it boots into windows as normal, go into control panel > administrative tools > computer management > disk management and create the other partition(s) and format.

Let us know how you get on

PS. RMA - Return Materials Authorisation - Normally an authorisation number given by the retailer you purchased the product from enabling you to return it for a refund / exchange.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2008
  5. umer209

umer209 Member

6. skyline

skyline Regular member

hey man do u care if i get rid of everything on the harddrive becasue i could format ur HDD and then just re install Windows XP Pro SP2. haha u could just give it to me( to everyone else umer209 is my cousin)

7. DedShadow

DedShadow Regular member

Uhh..what a weird error screen. I have never seen that one before. I seriously have no idea what any of that means. Has the hard drive been dropped, hit or anything? Even if it hasnt, I would take it back, get an exchange and try the new one, if its the same problem..who knows.

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

press any key to boot off cd to see what happens next as i think the hd still has to be formated before windows can be installed.

9. shabi-ul

shabi-ul Regular member

did you check the jumper setting before installing the new drive? If not make sure the jumpers are set to master if that is the drive you want to boot from.