1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

windows installer popup

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by shushu, Oct 23, 2007.

1. shushu

shushu Member

whenever I right click on any icon on the desktop or in the browsing web page a popup window with the name windows installer is displayed with the quote "preparing to install" appears and it takes considerable time delay to get the clicked item . can you help me how to overcome this with thanks

2. jony218

jony218 Guest

I used the following directions to disable the windows installer popup when it was giving me problems. It worked for me.

* Open the Group Policy Editor by selecting Run from the Start Menu, and typing gpedit.msc. (If the file is missing, run mmc.exe instead. Then, select Add/Remove Snap-in from the Console menu, click Add, and double-click Group Policy. Click Finish, then Close, then Ok.)
    * Expand the following branches:
    Local Computer Policy \ Computer Configuration \ Administrative Templates \ Windows Components \ Windows Installer
    * Double-click Disable Windows Installer to your right, click Enabled, and choose Always from the list. Click Ok when you're done.
    * The change will take effect immediately. If you added a snap in, as described above, you don't need to "save changes to the console."

* Note: If you encounter an error about the Administrator Policy the next time you try to install an application, you'll have to re-enable the Windows Installer temporarily.

So far I have never run into a situation where I had to re-enable it in the past year.