1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows MCE PC and HDTV

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by bobiroc, Jan 3, 2006.

1. bobiroc

bobiroc Member

I recently re-did one of my computers with Windows MCE 2005. My dad purchased a computer with that OS on it and I thought Hey!, I have a Computer with a tuner card, that would be nice for my computer. So Purchased a copy of Windows MCE 2005 and installed it on my computer. The specs are below

P4 @ 3.06GHz
    1GB PC2700 DDR Ram
    40 GB Harddrive (for OS and Apps)
    80GB HardDrive for Data storage
    DVD-ROM and DVD-RW
    SB-Audigy Platinum Sound
    ATI All-In-Wonder 9700
    Windows MCE 2005

The graphics card has DVI out and my Mitsubish TV (Model WS-55315)has a DVI input in the back. I understand the warnings about hooking up a computer to a projection TV because of the screen burn and stuff, but that is not what concerns me. I guess I want to know of any settings or utilities that may be helpful. My TV can display 480i, 480P, and 1080i resolutions. While searching the internet for helpful information (which kind of confused me) I heard the mention of a utility called PowerStrip. Do I need this? I went to http://www.entechtaiwan.com/ which is the homepage for the powerstrip utility and I couldn't even download it.

2. SypherTek

SypherTek Guest

what exactly do you want to acheive by this. if you just want to use the tv as a monitor you shouldnt need anything extra just plug in and go

3. bobiroc

bobiroc Member

I was thinking of making a home theater PC. I wanted to avoid using the TV-out (RCA) because the video quality is not as good. I just wanted to see if anyone had any experience of using the DVI inputs on the HDTVs with Computers and if there were any precautions that I should take. I was looking in the properties of my ATI AIW card and it has resolution support for the HDTV Standards, 720x480, 1280x720 and 1920x1080. Seing as my TV supports only 1080i I was just curious if I set my resolution to 1920x1080 on the TV handle that.

4. SypherTek

SypherTek Guest

i doubt that your tv would handle a resolution of that size. it would likely work but your desktop would be panning around the edges of the tv screen. full screen video would display fine though

5. bobiroc

bobiroc Member

Well I connected the PC using the DVI out on the ATI card at it appears to be running stable at 1776x1000 resolution. To me that sounds odd, but it was one step lower than 1920x1080 which worked but the whole windows desktop did not show. I tried it on 1280x720 and the display shrunk so there was a black border around the whole thing. The two resolutions that worked were 848x480 and 1776x1000. The video doesn't look any different at the higher resolution, so I may drop it down to the 848x480 for performance reasons because it seemed to skip a little at that high res.