1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows ME boot.ini

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by sly_61019, Apr 8, 2004.

1. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

Ok, i had ME and XP on my machine, but it took XP off. When i boot, it still asks which OS i want to load. I know i have to edit the boot.ini file, but im not sure how much i have to delete to get the xp option out of there. So, can someone running windows ME only, post the contents of their boot.ini file so i dont screw something up.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]V9 PS2, flip top, SMD, DVDLoader
    Pioneer 105, Memorex 4X DVD-R
    DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter, Nero[/small]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2004
  2. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

Or, is boot.ini a XP file that ME doesn't need?

3. Xian

Xian Regular member

Windows ME does not have a boot.ini, that file must be left over from your XP installation. What is happening is that the NT Boot Loader from XP is still on your hard drive's boot sector. To get rid of it you have to boot with a floppy and type "fdisk /mbr". That will get rid of the boot loader. The same thing will work for the Linux boot loader LILO too.

4. Xian

Xian Regular member

5. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

i tried the fdisk command but NTLDR is still there. Also, the link you gave is if i want to reinstall ME which i do not want to do. Is there some way to make ME the default OS in the boot.ini. then i could set the timer to 0 and it will automatically boot ME. here is the contents of my boot.ini file:

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
    C:\ = "Microsoft Windows"

6. Xian

Xian Regular member

NTLDR will still be there, its a XP file not the boot loader. The boot loader is actually on the boot sector of the hard drive. I have did the fdisk /mbr dozens of times to get rid of the NT Boot Loader or LILO and never had a problem removing the loader. You have to boot with a floppy disk like the Windows ME ERD disk or the like that has fdisk on it. I have never tried adding another operating system manually to the boot.ini

7. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

i booted with the 98 startup disc and typed fdisk /mbr like you said and it didn't work. I was able to edit the boot.ini file and ME starts right up now. If anyone's interested here it is:

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=C:\
    [operating systems]
    C:\ = "Microsoft Windows"

8. Xian

Xian Regular member

Cool, as long as it is working.
    You have to run the fdisk /mbr on the c: drive, I probably didn't explain it well enough. You need to change to c: then type a:\fdisk /mbr for it to work.