1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows ME OS, I have several problems

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by ogstylin, Apr 22, 2007.

1. ogstylin

ogstylin Member

Today my pc shut down on its own when I was using the internet, its not the first time either but its not a frequent pain. Its an old gateway with a pentium 2, cheap, slow, decent to get by. Its been hit by viruses before and i've used EZ firewall\EZtrustantivirus to protect it, dont like it that much but it does point out malicious objects. I dont trust it all the way and I think having not had it powered on a few times when online & downloading torrents with BitTornado let something make it futile. I only think that becuase while I've had it on, I've noticed certain pages dont look the same as they used to, and other weird instances....
    *yahoo mail sign-in is basic, not the graphical page i know it is but instead simple boxes with little text on a bare screen, the ssl is there though
    *sometimes other pages have the same problem
    *a transparent bar is at the bottom of the screen right above where the normal task bar is
    *for some reason i'm hearing a very low chime everytime i right click, just noticed it with headphones & loud sound
    *general suspicious things
    all that and the fact it doesnt perform normally like every other time after saving, scrapping, and restarting with the bare essentials.
    are there ways to tell if i'm being spied on/screwed with? Is that transparent bar normal for ME, i really never noticed it before, ever.
    this might seem like a mix of Win OS and internet discussion but the way the situation is intertwined thats just what it is. with that, does anyone know where to get free info to school myself on cable internet, also any other info you think is vital to protect oneself from situations surrounding cable internet in particular [all i know is about my surfboard modem & its pdf manual]. whats fuccd up is that the cable connection is in my neighbors backyard [shitty neosuburban subdivision] so who knows wtf is going on at any time right, any way of knowing if someones messing around then, besides having to keep an eye out?
    It seems a lot but i tried my best at accentuating different points to give the whole idea of my experience in case needed, just several problems really. I appreciate any informative advice given.

2. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

i would just reinstall the system. that would fix most of your problems. but the best thing to do would be to switch to linux. no viruses no nothing just a working system that you can do anything with

3. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

The Windows ME OS has it's own issues that prevent it from being a usable operating system...let alone installing anything to it. It has memory leaks, and other stability issues. The OS can be taken out fairly quickly...and virus attacks can render system files corrupt without any chance of repair.

If you choose to keep it, I'm with KRJ on this...might as well wipe the drive and start fresh.

Otherwise, a great version of Linux like Ubuntu would be a nice course to take. Even Windows 2000 would be a better choice.

4. ogstylin

ogstylin Member

I get the idea, thank you for the responses. What about anything pertaining to my last paragraph, basically wondering if theres any software that that gives an indepth overview of my cable internet connection, aside from basic stats like connection info i.e. ip address, gateway etc.. anyways I always heard Linux was great maybe now I'll try it, much appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2007
  5. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Linux is THE os for network capabilities.

Just a few simple commands can bring up all sorts of stats about your network setup and usage.

If you are running older hardware with limited capabilities could I be so bold as to suggest a live cd distro? Then you can try a few and see what you like. Slax kill-bill even has burning capabilities.

Take a look at them all here http://afterdark13.11.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=268
    Lots to choose from.

6. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Yeah......Linux is an Operating System by all it's definitions..and the distros keep getting better and better with each release.

Still a few command line functions that need to be "ported" or converted to install type packages...(unless you love the command line/DOS type interface...but that got old for me years ago).

Other than that...I've tried several...including the newest of Ubuntu and that baby rocks. If you're not a gamer, these OSes are something to be desired. Best yet....is that most of your apps you may need are free.

OpenOffice.
    Firefox.
    Thunderbird.

To name just a few popular apps.

7. krj15489

krj15489 Active member