1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Media Center 2005

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by Unfallen1, May 6, 2006.

1. Unfallen1

Unfallen1 Member

I just recently purchases a Xbox 360 and i want to be able to stream video's on to it.I found that the only way to stream videos is by using Windows Media Center.

The problem is i dont have Windows Media Center or have money to buy the Media Center computer

so does anyone know where i can download it for free..or stream video's into my Xbox 360?

2. dejahboi

dejahboi Regular member

nope, just save up i guess lol, well there is piracy, BUT yeah were not allowed to dicuss it ....sorry but yeah you have to upgrade your pc to microsoft windows media center

3. touran22

touran22 Regular member

sorry this isnt relevant to that query but ive got media cenbter but i havent installed. im scared that if i do ill loose all my files and music and stuff thats already on thisa os. is there anyway to upgrade to media center without loosing my files

4. dejahboi

dejahboi Regular member

i think you can make window media center on a separate partition, im not sure but i have a postive feeling you can, also if you dont wanna lose your stuff, back it up lol, well anyways yeah, the thing with the 360....you gottah have the windows media center to do that, unless you wait til someone will figure out how ;).

5. Unfallen1

Unfallen1 Member

uhh how can i upgrade my computer to windows media center?

do i have to buy it?

6. dejahboi

dejahboi Regular member

Yeah, the windows media center is actually an OS.....like Microsoft XP home, PRO, and etc..... so yeah , you have to buy, you just have to make sure you computer meets the requirements

7. DVD7227

DVD7227 Regular member

I really don't suggest you go and buy windows media center if you already have windows xp, I mean its great to have an Operating System to do streaming videos but you can spend 20 to 40 bucks on a PCI video capture card install it on the PC then connect it to your 360 and stream the video to your hdd it will do it mpeg 1/2 or whatever you choose some of these capture cards can be bought on newegg.com or tigerdirect.com
    Just don't spend money on another windows for streaming video, use another technique to get around it.
    Hope this helps

8. touran22

touran22 Regular member

you know when i wanna back something up do you mean pout them on a cd cuz cuz ive got 160gb hard drive and i only got 40gb left. thats alot of cds and plus how can you put all ma games and small files on a cd like programms??

9. TomMelee

TomMelee Regular member

touran...

you've got lots of options:
    Buy a new hdd, they're cheap.

Buy an external enclosure and a hdd, then just plug it in when you want to backup/restore.

Buy a DVD burner and back up to it. That's what I do...4.7Gb at a time.

Delete some of that crap, because you're never going to need it.

Personally, I've got 2 internal 160's, 1 external 30, 1 external 40, and a flash drive I carry on my keychain, plus my 20Gb mp3 player. And then there's the 120cd carrying case of movies and games, another spindle of movies, another spindle of games, another spindle of backups, a spindle of xbox games, a couple more spindles of random crap, plus the 2 still-blank spindles.

One of the 160's has about 60Gb left, the other 120 (my OS disk.) Each of the externals is about half full...one's my music backup. The flash drive has my resume, my medical history, and a few things I won't leave home without. My mp3 player has...well, mp3's. Lol.

10. touran22

touran22 Regular member

lol i see im going to have to think hard bout this one to pickk which one to choose

11. bobiroc

bobiroc Member

I thought Windows Media Connect was supposed to be able to do that?

12. dejahboi

dejahboi Regular member

uhh nooo....

13. bobiroc

bobiroc Member

Well the way I understood it is you install "Windows Media Connect" on your windows XP computer and designate which media folders you want to share and it can connect to "Windows Media" compatible devices such as the XBOX 360. That way you can stream music or video clips right to it. The only reason you need a MCE Computer is for the live TV and recorded TV functions. But, if you just want to use existing video and audio files I do not think you need the MCE OS.

I do not have an XBOX 360 to test this, but I thought that is how it was supposed to work.

According to this page http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemuse/xbox360/digitalmedia/intro.htm it says you CAN do it with a Windows XP or a Windows XP MCE computer.

or this page with more detailed instructions http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemuse/xbox360/digitalmedia/pc.htm