1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Media Center and MKV Playback

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by bcowell, Oct 31, 2012.

1. bcowell

bcowell Member

Hi Guys,

I have been using Windows 7 Media Center and MPC-HC for a while and loved it, it played back everything perfectly. Recently however I have been wanting to use my Media Center to get notifications, skype and new remote control apps and an external player won't allow me to do that due to it minimizing MCE etc.

I have been fooling around with codecs for the last few days and am getting desperate. I used the Shark Codec pack and while about 50% of my movies play ok the other 50% artifact and others with VC-1 streams and TrueHD tracks go out of sync etc. I have posted on the forums over there but got a couple of suggestions which didn't fix my issues and have tried every conceivable config with Shark and can't get it to work so have given up on that. 99% of my files are MKV's, a lot of them ripped directly from Blurays using MakeMKV with uncompressed video and HD audio tracks in place.

I just need some codecs that can playback all MKV's without artifacts, sync issues with subtitles and can playback DTS-HD and TrueHD tracks and VC-1 smoothly. Can I get this to work in Media Center or am I wasting my time. None of my videos are to blame because they all played perfectly in MPC-HC.

HTPC Specs:

i3 @ 3Ghz
    4GB RAM
    AMD 5770 1GB Video card
    Windows 7 MCE x64

If someone could point me in the direction of a guide or the correct codecs to use that would be much appreciated. Also a program that rips out any remaining codecs from my system so I can start from a clean slate without having to reinstall windows.

Thanks in advance!

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

If MCE fails you maybe able to fall back to XBMC it has skype plugins amongst others including xtra skins as well as remote control functionality add-in,install or portable is avail,another one would be moovida tho never tried it