1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Media Center Help

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by egoo33, Oct 7, 2007.

1. egoo33

egoo33 Member

I have an acer aspire 5630 with vista home premium and one of the main reasons why i bought this model was because of the ability to watch tv on my computer. Unfortunately when i took the computer out of the box there were no instructions except the quick setup which only covers how to plug in the keyboard mouse etc. What came bundled in the box were a white cylinder looking thing that has an r1 and r2 input. This white thing plugs into a usb port. also there were a variety of wires which were a jack with a little red light on the end, another wire with a little black trapezoid looking figure at the end and some composite cables. I have a dish network standard def setup box and am running a coaxial cable from the back of my computer to the back of the satalite box and have tried different configurations with all the cables and that white stubby cylinder thing. When i run automatic setup the tv signal is not detected. I have been trying for about 3 hours to get this off and running but all of my attempts have been unsuccessful. I am a wits end and even talked to some guy from geek squad online who wants to charge me $200 plus tax to come to my house and figure it out. I really don't want it to come to that after dropping a decent amount of money on a brand new computer. I tried contacting acer but they are closed until tomorrow. If someone could please help me out i would be greatly appreciative. Please excuse my ignorance i am a noob and just want to know if someone can plase help point me in the right direction, thank you in advance, Eric

2. egoo33

egoo33 Member

Anyone? Please help

3. steimy

steimy Active member

4. egoo33

egoo33 Member

Well acer's tech support was absolutely horrible i spoke to 3 ppl and no one could help me out unless i was willing to pay 3 dollars a minute for tech support, anyway i finally got media center to detect a tv signal but i still have a slight issue. i can change channels on my dish box with my windows media remote but what ever channel i put on only shows up on my tv and not on my computer and when i record the only thing i have is a black screen. Can someone please help me, i am so close to having everything up and running, and the acer manual did not help but thank you very much for your help

5. steimy

steimy Active member

sorry, that was really the only thing i could find and was just hoping it had what you needed. I am not real up to date on video capture cards myself. But i might know some people who are.
    Check out xtreme-source.com and ask there.