1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows media center

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by maure, Apr 2, 2005.

1. maure

maure Member

I have recorded cable movies through windows media center. Does anybody no how I can burn these to DVD's. Below is what is said about media center. I have tried DVD X Copy Platinum, DVD Shrink, trial version of movie factory 4. DVD 43 and I can't burn a dvd. I can watch the movie on my computer but I would like to be able to burn dvd's and then take the movies off my hard drive. Help
    Recorded TV and Content Protection
    Q. What is content protection, and how is it used by Media Center?
    A. Content owners and/or broadcasters can set copy-protection flags to indicate that a program is subject to content protection. When Media Center detects that this flag is set, it will protect the content by limiting the ability to copy and distribute the program.

Q. Can protected recorded TV files be watched on another PC?
    A. No, protected files can be watched only on the Media Center PC that originally recorded the content.

Q. Can unprotected recorded TV files be watched on another PC?
    A. Yes, as long as that PC has the capability of playing DVR-MS files (either through Media Center or an updated Microsoft DirectShow player such as Windows Media Player 10 see Watch Recorded TV on Other Microsoft Windows XP-based PCs).

Q. Can protected recorded TV files be played back on the same Media Center PC using Windows Media Player 10 or other DirectShow-enabled applications?
    A. No, protected files can be watched only through Media Center on the Media Center PC that originally recorded the content.

2. maure

maure Member

Can anybody help?

3. Daemon404

Daemon404 Regular member

What format did you save them as? You may have to convert them to VOB/IFO/BUP's.

4. OU812Ono

OU812Ono Regular member

I've been down this road before, here goes....

1. That is correct,the files saved are in a .dvr-ms format, only MCE "Media Center Edition" pc's can play them, also sometimes Windows Media Player will play them or other M$ programs.

2. You CAN convert them with a 3rd party program which will let you edit/burn/watch on other comps, I use DVR2WMV which you can find here:
    http://thegreenbutton.com/downloads.aspx "downloads section isn't too firefox-friendly, you might have to use IE"

you want to go under Utilities| DVR-MS and get "DVR 2 WMV", there are a couple other porgrams but I have had no luck getting them to work.

3. Once you have converted them they will be in .wmv format, you can burn them as is to watch on other comps or you can convert them again to a dvd compliant format.

4. If you want to edit them the fastest programs I have found are Tmpgenc "to encode to mpg" and then I use Tmpgenc Dvd Author to edit/make chapters and convert to dvd structure, .vob's .ifo's.....

5. To burn as-is with commercials and all you can use programs like Nero, Ulead Video Studio, I think even Vso DivxtoDvd can do it. Just do a search and I'm sure you can find a program you like.

Check out www.TheGreenButton.com, it has all sorts of neat stuff, all to do with MCE.

Any problems just come-on back, it took me a while to figure out a system that worked smoothly enough for me, so just keep at it.

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Very good OU812Ono,

I hope you won't mind if I expound on it slightly,~>

First you'll want to download "DVR to WMV" ~>

http://thegreenbutton.com/downloads.aspx

It's a program to take your DVR-MS (Microsoft's file format) and converts it to something we can work with, as MS doesn't like to play directly with others. ~>

Next we'll download TMPGEnc.
    Its trial version can be found here ~>

http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/download/te3xp_license.html

Take the files from DVR to WMV and you'll have to run it through TMPGEnc to render it into a DVD compliant MPEG2 file. Then run those MPEG2 files through TMPGEnc DVD Author to edit, make menus, if you wish and, if your file size is LESS than 4.36 GB (<4360MB) then you may burn it directly to disc.

Here is TMPGEnc DVD Author ~>

http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/download/te3xp_license.html

By this time you'll have your full VOB files (the VOB's you get from TMPGEnc aren't the correct format). Once you've finished with DVD Author, should your files be LARGER than 4.36GB (>4360MB), PLEASE continue on ~>

If you don't have it, download DVD Shrink ~>

http://www.dvdshrink.org/

Open DVD Shrink and select "Open Files." Pickup your VIDEO_TS folder with your VOB, IFO and BUP files inside, allow DVD Shrink to analyze and compress the files in order to fit the files on a single 4.7GB Disc then burn to disc. DVD Shrink can work "automatically" with either ~ ~>
    DVD Decrypter (FREE),

DVD Decrypter ~>
    http://www.dvddecrypter.com/

OR Nero (30-day trial),

Nero Ultra Edition (Trial then $$$) ~>
    http://www.ahead.de/us/nero6-ultraedition.php

OR, CopyToDVD to "automatically" burn with DVD Shrink,

CopyToDVD (Trial then $$$) ~>

http://esales.element5.com/product.html?cart=1&productid=157972&languageid=1&affiliateid=70128#

Or with any other burner of your choice. Now that you have everything in that VIDEO_TS folder you'll be set to go. If your "Episodes" are small enough, you may wish to put several on a disc. I average 3-hour long episodes per disc with decent quality using DVD2One after the files come out of TMPGEnc DVD Author :)

Cheers,

Pete

6. maure

maure Member

When I try to install DVR 2 WMV I get an ERROR 1309.Error reading from file: C:\DOCUME~1\owner\locals~1\temp\...vbrNTSC.prx. verify that the file exists and then you can access it.
    I don't no what to do. Remember I'm a Newbee

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

OK, maure,

Since there isn't anything at all wrong with my link, the site, the download or the files - here are some instructions I hope you can follow. I don't believe I missed any steps.

First, make sure your PC's Firewall will allow files to be imported OR turn it off temporally.

As I'm not familiar with your PC you may have to call on your "Tech" support OR a trusted friend who knows about PC's to make that adjustment.

Now you'll need PKUnzip OR WinZip on your PC to accomplish this.PLEASE Goggle for that ~

NEXT, go to the first hyperlink in my post to you.

A hyperlink is the line of information in Blue with an underline.

Double-click that.
    You then go to a "fast-click page."
    In the upper right there is a small box that says "Skip".
    Click, once on that.

You should now be at the, "The Green Button" site.

The 7th line under the opening paragraph says, "DVR to WMV."
    Click this once.

A "Box" should have appeared on the right-hand side.
    The program is in that "Box."
    At the lower-left-side of the "Box" is a line which says, "Get It Now."
    Click on that once.

A "Download" box should be in front of you now.
    Click once on the word, "Save."

A "Browse" window should appear.
    Select the word "Save" and Click on that once.
    Once the download is complete, select the word. "Run" and Click once on that.

Remember that PKunzip OR WinZip you downloaded ? Well it should come up now with your files inside. Locate a place where you want this program and create a folder there. Extract the files in WinZip to this folder. Now there should be instructions there in a text file. Click on that. In the event that there isn't a text fie (Unlikely) Click on the .exe part of the program and it should all install.

I hope that helps some,

Cheers,

Pete

UPDATE: I just checked and when you look at the unzipped files in WinZip - at the bottom, you'll see a Window's installer package. Click on this, then Click "Yes" and the setup will run.

Cheers,

Last edited: Apr 3, 2005
  8. maure

maure Member

I have downloaded DVR 2 WMV, TMPGEnc, TMPGEnvDVD Author. I have transfered the movied to DVR 2 WMV but that's as far as I can get. As you know I'm a newbee and no that I'm suppose to go to TMPGEnc, but I can't get the movies over to mpeg 2. Can you give me steps to follow? Thanks for all your help and patience.

9. maure

maure Member

Pete,
    Can you help me again? See my last post

10. maure

maure Member

help, please

11. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Alright maure BUT this is the last time. You really have to do something on your own.

Way, way up at the very top of every page in every forum in aD's domain there is a "tab" thingie which has many selections.

The third from the right says "Guides". If you were to click once on that, it would open up a new page where there are guides of all natures. At the very top is a guide for TMPGEnc. By Clicking once on that, directions will appear to tell you what to do. . .

That should get you started -

Caio,

Pete

12. maure

maure Member

Thank You very much.