1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows media center

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by rockpig, Aug 4, 2008.

1. rockpig

rockpig Member

Hi, I would like some advice please if possible?

I am all but about to buy and make a media center, but I have a nagging thought, can I use my starview box stil to get all channels from virgin?

The way I see it is, you plug cable jack directly into computer and completey by pass the starview box?

Any help or comments greatly appreciated.

Thank you

2. nickberry

nickberry Regular member

Really depends on what Capture/Tuner card you have on your system...

Some may be able to decoder the signal directly from it coming into your house, other may require the signal to be decoded by the starview box first...

What Capture/Tuner card are you thinking about getting?

3. rockpig

rockpig Member

HI, thanks for the reply.

I have no idea at all what card to get, have you any recommendations?

So to get this right, I can buy a digital card tuner, which would decrypt the signal so I would be able to watch all channels through my media center?

As I understand it, I can't put the cable (virgin) through my starviewbox then into a digital card into my media pc, please correct me if I am wrong.

4. rockpig

rockpig Member

*Bump* :)

5. nickberry

nickberry Regular member

sorry.

i am ignorant as to what a 'starview' box does.

however, any device you can plug into the back of a t.v. (and i assume you can with your starview box) you can also plug into a pc, so long as that pc has almost any kind of composite capture card, some have tuners, some do not.

6. rockpig

rockpig Member

Hi, a starview box decypts the signal from the supplier so you don't have to pay. I was wondeering if you could plug this into the PC and have that act as a tuner card instead of buying one for the pc and have "free channels" still?

7. nickberry

nickberry Regular member

then yes.

just make sure the one you choose has either a yellow composite socket or an s-video socket.

you can adapt the scart cable coming out of the starview box into a yellow/red/white set of plugs and plug the yellow into the capture card, and the white(left) and red(right) into the soundcard.

8. gargar

gargar Member

i have an issue with this, i have tried it with st*rveiw and i can watch tv on the pc however i can not get it to work over my extender box (xbox 360) it says to put the ir receiver next to the one on the box but this still doesn't work, any advice would be appreciated