1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Media Player - can't make it default player

Discussion in 'Resource center' started by tomnkarel, Feb 15, 2007.

1. tomnkarel

tomnkarel Guest

I can only get audio and no video when I am viewing sites that have a Windows Media Player File. I have tried to select it as default in the "Set Program Access and Defaults" but it doesn't save the change! I have tried removing the WMP software, downloading the latest version (11), going back as far as possible (January 2007) and restoring the computer to that time, etc.

I have tried everything that I can think of, but I am stuck! Can anyone help? Thanks!

2. Jlhfit

Jlhfit Active member

sounds like its missing some codecs.. Try searching google for Windows Media Codecs packs...

3. tomnkarel

tomnkarel Guest

I did a search for "Windows Media Player Codec downloads" and gave the sight a good look over. I ended up downloading version 6.4 (with all of the selections picked to download). They are all loaded on my Desk Top, but do I need to "open" them or "run" them, and can I run more than one at a time??? I don't follow the way that they work. Can I move them to wherever the Windows Media Player files are located so that the player can pick and run whatever it needs? I also have an error on one of the downloads that says that I don't have Administrators rights... I checked in User Accounts and I do! (not sure what to think about that one)... I am also getting the error message regarding CTF Loader. How bad is that? I truly appreciate any help you can offer!

4. tomnkarel

tomnkarel Guest

I purchased, installed and ran "Just Registry" and it fixed the following:
    Startup Program Problems - 5
    ActiveX/Classes Section - 167
    Application Paths - 3
    Shared Program Files - 23
    Program ID Section - 104
    File Associations - 4
    Complete Registry Scan - 300
    Invalid Shortcuts - 42

I still can't manage Internet Explorer Add-Ons (making Windows Media Player my default player) The system appears to ignore me like I didn't have Admin Rights! How can I fix this? I made a new account SYS ADMIN with the same rights. I still couldn't change anything with Internet Explorer Add-Ons. Any ideas?

5. tomnkarel

tomnkarel Guest

I purchased, installed and ran "Just Registry" and it fixed the following:
    Startup Program Problems - 5
    ActiveX/Classes Section - 167
    Application Paths - 3
    Shared Program Files - 23
    Program ID Section - 104
    File Associations - 4
    Complete Registry Scan - 300
    Invalid Shortcuts - 42

I still can't manage Internet Explorer Add-Ons (making Windows Media Player my default player) The system appears to ignore me like I didn't have Admin Rights! How can I fix this? I made a new account SYS ADMIN with the same rights. I still couldn't change anything with Internet Explorer Add-Ons. Any ideas?

6. LABOY

LABOY Regular member

sorry, my bad, pls ignore

Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  7. janrocks

janrocks Guest

8. tomnkarel

tomnkarel Guest

Thanks for your input. I tried exactly what you said, downloaded, extracted, installed, etc. But when I went to switch the defaults in the "Set Program Access and Defaults" I got the following message... RUNTIME ERROR PROGRAM C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\RUNDLL32.EXE R6025 - PURE VIRTUAL FUNCTION CALL. Any more ideas? They are truly appreciated. Thanks again